Steyr Pro Hunter Mountain

Moloch

Hi!

Quick question, I am looking for the spec's of the Steyr Pro Hunter Mountain, the steyr rifle with the 20'' barrel, also sometimes called ''Steyr carbine''.

Length? Weight?

Thanks

mapsjanhere

Sorry for the derail, but that website is a hoot, it has the following
STEYR MANNLICHER is proud to present the first bolt action rifle in calibre .450 Marlin. Until today the .450 Marlin was only available in lever action or single shot rifles. Thanks to the new development from STEYR MANNLICHER, the MANNLICHER BIG BORE will be available with a
3+1 round magazine, and combined with the HC-Kit, with a 7+1 round magazine.

Thanks to the short Barrel (550 mm, 22") the MANNLICHER BIG BORE is ideal for hunting dangerous game, and thanks to the caliber?s light recoil, the rifle stays controllable for a second shot.
If the 450 Marlin is a light recoil round, at what point do they mount recoil pads, 460 Wby?

jeepstrapped

I just ran across this today on Steyrs website.
Does anyone have one? Has anyone shot one?

I have dreamt of building a 45/70 bolt action; but this would fit the bill just as nicely. :D

jmr40

Short, but very heavy. I had one briefly. Mine shot great, but I let it go for several reasons. #1 they are heavy at about 7.5 lbs. Get a scope on there and you are pushing 9 lbs in a carbine. Magazines are hard to find and expensive. You have to mount the scope quite a bit higher than I like because of the butterknife bolt handle which still wants to hit the scope. You can replace it, but at additional cost.

They are VERY accurate with anything I tried. If the other factors don't bother you they are very good rifles.

pythagorean

My latest and last in Steyr is the Classic Mannlicher in .243 Winchester after being in Germany and owning a 6.5 x 55 and .30-06 in the earlier versions.

Austria makes the most beautiful rifles I think with the hammer forged outside that twists:

006-4.jpg

008-2.jpg

Whatever Steyr you get it will shoot from carbine (short barrel/stock or full stock) to 24" barrel.

They are heavy. The actions have a lot of machined steel that a Win 70 or Rem 700 or Ruger 77 don't have.

They are sleek but stiff in the action. They are tight. I guess it has to do with being accurate.

If you get the Steyr then get the Austrian scope, Swarovski, in 30mm tube for the BEST results:

003-6.jpg

005-3.jpg

There is no comparison to the duo anywhere else.