Steyr Pistols out of the US market

Te Anau

This happens about every 18 months or so and is the main reason I've never bought a Steyr.It's too bad they can't get it together.

Que

They have changed distributors numerous times, but this is the first time they have done a complete withdrawal. Steyr had even been promising new guns coming out later this year (the SA1) as well as a .45 in the not too distant future. For those of us following Steyr this came as no big surprise.

Last edited:

Skans

I don't see why they don't just start producing Steyr GB's again. They are still considered "modern" compared to what's being produced today. They have several unbeatable advantages. No R&D needed. Stamped steel frame. Not many parts, so should be able to be produced and assembled inexpensively.

I just never understood why they didn't stick with that one. Fantastic gun!!

No true they had no distributor in the mid 90s. The pistols sat in a warehouse for years before they where picked up by an airsoft company and the SAI set up a US importer and now they are gone.......

Suck because they are not bad pistols but the company sucks......

IdahoG36

I'm just going to throw this out there.

Steyr, look at what Springfield Armory has done with the XD. It is built in an Eastern European country that can produce pistols that cost less, but do not lack in quality. Take a good hard look at that. Sounds like a win, win situation for a gun company.

Que

Suck because they are not bad pistols but the company sucks......

Agreed. They are actually quite good pistols. I've been shooting Steyrs for somewhere around 23 years starting with a GB back in 86. Their designs have been innovative with an emphasis on recoil reducton, and aspect of the gun that is heads and tails better than the Glock that it is often compared to.

As to SAI, when here in Georgia, and since in Alabama, they have earned a reputation of excellent customer service. I don't think any of the blame can be laid at the feet of SAI, but more appropriately, as Colt1911 points out, with the parent company back in Austria. That company has undergone a huge re-org and guns plays a minscule part. They never understood the US market. Plus, dumping all of those guns on CDNN that sell for $350 and less really sealed the deal. How could they expect to sell the same guns in the future which would retail close to $600?

On the plus side, I have no doubts that SAI will continue to service guns here in the US as promised. Will we ever see the .45 that Steyr says it has under dvelopment? That remains to be seen, but I have serious doubts.

ranburr

I fail to see how production cost for a plastic pistol can really be an issue. The first one cost a lot of money to make. After that, they cost next to nothing to produce. Steyr has never properly marketed themselves in the U.S. market. I have often thought that they should partner with an American company. Somebody like Kimber seems like an ideal fit. Kimber wants in the polymer, stryker fired, police market. Steyr makes a pistol that fits the bill.

klcmschlesinger

I've heard these were good.

I've never actually shot one, but have heard they are good pistols. I had been planning on buying one for years but something always gets in the way. Will the price drop or rise for the ones still in stock?

Que

I've never actually shot one, but have heard they are good pistols. I had been planning on buying one for years but something always gets in the way. Will the price drop or rise for the ones still in stock?

Hard to say what prices will do. I don't see CDNN raising prices on what they have left.

Over time I see prices rising on them a good deal. It seems that often what folks want most is that which they can't have. Also, some will catch on to the fact that the earlier M and S series had manual safeties, and quite good ones, which makes the gun very marketable to those who aren't comfortable with Glocks as they are.

Chui

A close associate of mine spoke with Gaston Glock at SHOT this year and Gaston openly told him that it costs $52 to make a Glock pistol: half of that was the frame and it's components. I wonder how much it costs to make a Steyr pistol? Their Advertising Dept could use an infusion of talent.