Steyr M9A1

RevolverLover

I got a chance to hold one today at the local shop and I must say it felt great. This might be my next handgun but I would like to hear any experiences with it? How is the factory support? Thanks

MrApathy

support is much better they have service center in Georgia and they have import in mississippi own 4 original M series. the M9 is a tack driver 40sw is pretty accurate as well but I can shoot the M9 better at 50 yards.

what is the gun priced at? suggested purchase price is $390-$450
might be able to find an original M or S at online auctions for $350.

SA1 series is coming out soon should be a fine concealable gun.

SD_Chop

thanks for posting, i always wondered about these arms. I dunno if i could get past the looks and design to buy one myself, maybe i should hold one...

Syntax360

The MA1 series are definitely great pistols. I had some trouble with my mags about 2 months after getting mine and Steyr replaced them in about a week. I also jacked my barrel up (pretty much completely my fault) and Steyr replaced it with just about no questions asked. The customer service is by far and away the best I have had experience with. Regarding service, you should have absolutely *zero* concerns.

My M9A1 was a little finicky out of the box, but after swapping the mags out and putting somewhere around 500 rounds through her, the feeding problems completely vanished. I'm happy to say the pistol has been 100% for about 3000 rounds now.

The trigger is great, period. Ergonomics either work like none other for you or they don't - it seems you were pleased with the way it fit your hand. The sights can take some getting used to - I was not able to overcome that part, so I replaced them with night sights.

The gun is as rock solid as they come in just about any price range - absolutely on par with my Sig and HK. Disassembly is a breeze and the finish is every bit as durable as a glock, etc.

My only complaint stems from my cautious nature - I wish the A1's had a manual safety. The pistol is 100% safe as long as I do my part, but I still prefer a manual safety.

You definitely will not be sorry if you go with the MA1 - exceptional pistols at an exceptional price. Check out SteyrClub.com if you want some more info.

Lycanthrope

I think you can purchase an A1 with a manual safety just like on the older M9 models.

I really enjoy my M40. Accurate and reliable.

MrApathy

manual safety is nearly impossible to get.

personally I want to get access to CNC mill so I can make me up some block replacements for the manual safety. manual safety I do like it its not perfect nothing is. use the manual safety whenever I can but it becomes a hassle after a while.

LH2

Sights, etc

I'm looking at the M9A1 myself. How does the trigger compare to Glock? Does it bite at your trigger finger the way a Glock trigger will after a couple hundred rounds?

How about muzzle flip in 9mm?

Not sure if I could get used to the trapezoidal sights... Are there standard 3-dots available?

MrApathy

steyr trigger is much nicer than glock or xd.

muzzle rise on M9 is lame and can even become boring. M40 is little more exciting.

3 dot sights are availible though as night sights from factory. pt nightsights availible even a good deal going on with pt sights.

when it comes to trapezoid I love the front sight its nice and big comes to a fine point much more precise. the rear sight I dont care for on the steyr. pt can do custom work think I will go for a tritium bar in |_| config like glocks rear.

never experienced trigger bite out of 4 steyrs and around some 5,000+ rounds

|/\|
|o|
ooo

switch between Steyr's and S&W 9ve/40ve combat 3dot sights regularly. trapezoid is much easier and faster. great for defense or competition. was shooting M9 out to 50 yards and hitting clay targets repeatedly. Steyrs have a trigger than can make you spoiled

45reloader

I just picked up the last M9 at Todays gun show.

It was $345.00 not bad but only came with one 10 round mag.So cost is more like $400.00 when you add 2 new hi cap mags.

I'm off to shoot it later and I hope it's 100%.I got the gun for summer so I can just tuck the gun in the WB.The manual safety is great for days when you just want to grab a gun and go.

I will get a new MA1 in 40 cal if I can get the manual safety.The 40 cal is what I really wanted but the one M9 was the only gun left in the whole show.And this was the biggest show here.

LH2

45reloader - congrats on the new toy. Let us know how it does at the range.

What's the difference from older M9s to newer M9-A1 models? Same size, just revamped grip shape?

45reloader

Well after 100 FMJ / 50 JHP / 30 Speers +P JHP the gun was flawless.:D
Much lower recoil then my Glock 19 and the sights are not to hard to get use to.

I was shooting alittle high at 25 yards. But I'm not to worried at 25 ft I should be good to go.;)

Not a bad gun at all.I'm a 45 ACP fan, and even I have to give this gun high marks.I love any gun straight out of the box that feeds 100%.It's a gun I'm going to keep ,I never sell the good shooting ones.

Kermit

Shot one recently...nice trigger, above average accuracy, soft recoil (IMHO), a relatively inexpensive. My only negative (if you can call it that) are those trapazoidal sights....they might/will need some adjusting to.

Paochow

I thought I would hate the funky sights on the M9, but after several hundred rounds, I was able to shoot it with greater accuracy than stardard blade sights. The triangle point on the front sight works very well for precision shots, like head shots and bowling pins at longer ranges.

LH2

Sweet Pistol

I was finally able to handle one at a gun shop. WOW, felt great in hand and appears to be really well put together. Thoroughly impressed. I think I need one! :)

Pilot

I have the older M9 which I bought from CDNN when they were liquidating them. Its been 100% reliable and accurate for a service pistol. The grip doesn't fit me that well. It seems too thin. Maybe the newer version is better, but in general I think its a good gun and well made.