Steyr M series

sewerman

new to forum....greetings!

am interested in the general view of the members
on the Steyr M series.
i have heard / read about fte issues and such.
this weapon has great ergonomics and just looks well made.
this weapon is supposed to be one of the few poly frames that
was originally developed AS a .40 with a fully supported chamber
and then manufacturnered as a 9mm later.
i'm only a hobby shooter and already own several other handguns,
the steyr just sorta calls to me........

everyone have a safe new year!

rellascout

Are you looking at the older M9 or M40 or the new MA-1?

The orginal M series are very nice guns. Great feel in the hand. At $300 bucks or less they are a hell of a bargain. The FTE issues are due to the fact that the M serises pistols have been sitting for quite a while. Steyr has had 3 importers and only now has set up their own US based importer. If you get an older one clean the extractor and you should not have any issues.

The new MA-1 are just too much money IMHO but they are still very nice guns. Basically a M series wit ha rail and na new extactor.

My favorite of them all and the only one I still own is the S40. Small compact 40 S&W with a sweet trigger.

That said if you get one I will warn you that they have been sanctioned by the State department and their ability to sell even parts inside the US is in question. Long term availability of parts may become an issue.

Good luck I recommend picking up a old M series.

sewerman

thanks rellascout,
for the the useable imput.
i've been looking at an old new stock m-9 and a s-40 used. both with nite sights and hand cuff key actuation for lock out safety.
wonder if those sanctions will affect private sector or only federal level trade?
thanks again for your reply:)

spacemanspiff

actually, wasnt there some problem at the factory that caused the FTE's? i could be wrong, but i thought they cleared up the FTE problems before the importers inventory was sold to CDNN?

i had both the m9 and m40, and ergonomically, i really liked them, far better than any other polymer pistol on the market (imho). preferred the m9 to the m40, because i had problems getting some .40 loads to chamber completely. i think they miscut the chamber on mine, as hollowpoints all fed great, it was the 180 or 165 gr fmj's that wouldnt chamber all the way.