Stevens model 200... Opinions????

I'm looking at purchasing a stevens model 200 in .223 rem.... Now I get that it is basically a savage 110 short action with the old style trigger and that the stock sucks.. But, how does it perform??? I'm looking for a reasonably handy bolt gun that I can let a newbie shoot or pull out and pop a coyote with... Any experiences or opinions??

Scout

Love my .243 Model 200. Once I found its load, it has been great. Of course I'm an old 110 shooter.

DnPRK

My 200 shoots as well as my 110s and 12BVSS, which shoot better than my 700s, Ruger 77s and Win 70 out of the box.

Find a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock for your 200. You won't be disappointed.

riggins_83

Nothing wrong with the Stevens 200, it's basically a Savage 10 preaccutrigger with a plastic trigger guard. I'm not a big fan of the factory trigger on it, and while the stock is nothing too great to look at it's easily painted. It's a great gun if you want something basic that's quite accurate or want a gun you can build up over time.
The trigger on the Stevens is adjustable with some work, just not as easy as the accutrigger.

stv200.jpg

5whiskey

You cannot go wrong with a stevens 200. Of course, this is coming from a pre-accutrigger 110 and 10 shooter ;). Seriously though, you will have a MOA rifle out of the box (probably much better), the trigger is of no limitation at all in my opinion, and the stock is bearable until you try to use it with bipods. Painting the stock doesn't keep it from flexing more than a Thai banana show girl.

Other than that it's awesome, a great gun at a great price... plus the advantages of having a barrel nut can't be sneezed at (fairly simple barrel changes).

rickdavis81

You can epoxy some arrow shafts in the forend to keep it from flexing. They are good guns to slowly build on. snipercentral.com did a build on one and longrangehunting.com has some articles on builds done with them.

5whiskey

You can epoxy some arrow shafts in the forend to keep it from flexing. They are good guns to slowly build on. snipercentral.com did a build on one and longrangehunting.com has some articles on builds done with them.

Yeah, you are absolutely right. The stock can be fixed. I have the original stock on mine but it's been built fairly heavy. Bondo works great... I was trying to inform that the problem with the stock wasn't aesthetic. You'll have to spend a few hours on it if you want it to be functional for certain kinds of shooting.

I couldn't have put it better

I thought someone would like that... thank you