Stevens 59A, what can you tell me about it?

Remmy

Another post got me to thinking about this gun given to me by my dad. Im refinishing the stock and getting it reblued at martincustoms.com and just wanted to know what some of you who own or have shot/used one of these guns thought about them as i plan on giving it more use. I believe they were sold at sears stores back in the day. What kind of problems do they tend to have if any?

Harley Nolden

Staff In Memoriam
If my memory serves, this is a bolt action shotgun and was a pretty good gun. I have a bolt action Stevens and it worked well for deer and for turkey shoots. There is sometimes a stock cracking problem in the reciol lug area. I have found that when glass bedded, (complete Piller glass) this remedies the problem. If this is in fact the gun I have the Disassem w/photo if you'd like to have them.

HJN

Attachments

• STEVENS 59B-1.jpg
    STEVENS 59B-1.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 118

Remmy

Thats the one. I didnt know that the stock cracking problem was on most of these...i have seen it on mine as well, it runs about three inches forward of the lug area. I would love to have the photos you mentioned if you want to email them to me my email is jpicken@ls1com.every1.net thanks so much.

Do you know by chance if the inside diameter of the barrel is the same the whole length...reason is, id like to get the barrel chopped down to 20-22", just dont want to mess with the pattern. Just want to make it a little bit more handy in the size department. Would you suggest i not do this? Im pretty hesitant about messing around with the barrel anyways...

Harley Nolden

Staff In Memoriam
I would leave the barrel alone. If you cut it, you will also have to crown it. The long barrel will enhance the pattern at turkey shoots and long shots.

HJN

kanders

More of the manual available?

Hi, guys, I know this is an old thread, but I'm having trouble locating the disassembly manual of which you posted the first page. Do you have the rest of available online, or know where I could download one? My wife has an old .410 59A in need of cleaning.

Thanks for any info,

Kevin