Stevens 200 Rifles

wolverine350

was wandering if someone could give me some feedback on the Stevens 200 bolt action rifles, just bought one in 223 Remington, but haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, seems like they are getting a lot of praise for a rifle around the 280.00 mark,

RevolverLover

I also have a Stevens 200 in .223. It is very accurate and the trigger is great for the price. I got mine to use as a walk-about rifle when i'm varmint hunting and it hasn't failed me yet.

wolverine350

Took the Stevens 200 out today and fired it a few times, sighted it in at 50 yards cause i was limited to range space at the time, was using the remington umc 55 grain metal case for sight in, my 1st shot was 3" to the right and 2" high so i andjusted accordingly, the next 4 shots were dead on in bullseye, the bullseye was dime size, was very pleased. Then i went and put up a new target and switched ammo over to Black Hills 60 grain soft points, blue box (remanufactured), and at 50 yards i managed to put 4 shots bullet holes touching, the 5th not even an 1/8" away, anyways the 5 shots i was able to cover with a dime i had in my pocket. very impressed with the Stevens 200, very, very accurate. can't wait to see what it does at 100 yards, i'm sure it will do excellent. The Stevens 200 is an awesome shooting gun was a 279.00 well spent. Gonna go with an rifle basix no. 1 replacement trigger as well and get the pull down a little, although not bad is the factory trigger concerning the 5 shot group it fired:D :p

missoulaz28

mine in 223 loves the black hills blue box stuff, sub inch at a hundred yards.

havent reloaded much for it yet, hope to soon though

Chris Phelps

I just ordered a Stevens 200 .223... it should be here by the end of the week. I bought it based on suggestions and reviews from both the members here, and the members on Sniper Central. If it shoots as accurately as I anticipate it will, I will be ordering another in .243 next week, and another in .308 the following week.

Im also waiting on my Savage 10FP in .308 that will be here at the same time as the stevens 200. :D

Anyway... since this thread is started anyhow, Would you be so kind as to post pics of your target(s) when you get the chance to shoot it at 100 yards? Would serve quite well among the others who come here looking for opinions on these rifles. (and many will come, since these rifles have been getting high praises lately)

Akgeezer

I'm not trying to highjack the post, but you guys reporting your Stevens accuracy, I'm curious as to what glass you're using.

I don't have personal experience with the Stevens, but I have heard only positive feedback about them and praises on their accuracy. Think'in hard on getting one myself! :rolleyes:

wolverine350

Bushnell sportsman 3x9x40 as the 223 is not a recoiling caliber the scope is ok, i know there are better scopes to be had but i have never had any problems witht he bushnells:)

fourrobert13

I have a Stevens 200 in .308, and I love it. I got it for Christmas. I put a Sightron scope on it. I plan on gettin another one here soon, but I just got a Ruger MKIII and a Mossberg 500 and better wait so the wife doesn't kill me.;)

5whiskey

Stevens/Savage

Not only are Stevens (or Savages) a wonderful rifle out of the box, there is so much more you can do with them.

Check out www.savageshooters.com and tool around that website a little bit. There is so much to learn there. You can have a multi-caliber rifle for the cost of a barrel and bolt face per caliber. A savage is easy for almost anyone with reasonable mechanical inclination to work on, you can change a barrel and bolt face in about 10 minutes with no gunsmithing required thanks to the barrel nut. There are plenty of accessories for a savage, ranging from triggers to stocks and more. They are the most accurate stock rifle out of the box bar none, and no one will ever convince me otherwise (very few will argue to begin with). Not to mention that they are cheaper than almost anything else (especially a stevens, which is just simply a savage without accutrigger).

There are some drawbacks. The long action is VERY long. The synthetic stock that comes on them isn't the greatest, especially if you shoot with bipods (forearm flex). The finish isn't the absolute greatest (though I don't care much bout that. I'd rather it not be too pretty to begin with or I'll be too tempted to not shoot it) but it's not bad. Working the bolt after a shot (re-cocking the firing pin) is sometimes unbearable, though I've seen this differ from rifle to rifle.

All in all, amazing rifles and you can build you're own semi-custom rifle with a little time and know-how. I have even taken the factory synthetic stock and did a pretty darn good bondo job to make it almost mcmillan-like. The bolt will get better as you shoot it, and MUCH better if you break it down and polish & time it. The long action is still VERY long though, thats the only thing I really don't like but I can live with it.

Congratulations on a fine rifle, I hope all of you have as much joy with yours as I have with mine. God bless

Chris Phelps

lol Wolverine, you sound like me. I've already got my "to-buy" list made out

Stevens 200 - 243
Stevens 200 - 308
Stevens 200 - 300winmag
Stevens 200 - 22-250

:D

wolverine350

Hey lol you betcha , these are some awesome little guns for the money and at 279.00 i'm gonna get what i can . you got your list made i see Chris :D

oldcars

I have a 200 in .223 as well, good shooting gun. Trigger a little rough but you can adjust it, the worst part was the horrid grey plastic stock, but a Savage model 10 wood stock off ebay fixed that. I mounted a Leupold 3x9 on mine, and am very pleased for a 276$ rifle.

wolverine350

This gun is awesome for the money, i think its probably one of the most accurate guns i have ever shot. Think i will cammo the stock into a leafy pattern although the grey is not bad i may add some black and tan to it:D

fourrobert13

This gun is awesome for the money, i think its probably one of the most accurate guns i have ever shot. Think i will cammo the stock into a leafy pattern although the grey is not bad i may add some black and tan to it

The stock isn't the best looking thing IMO, so I painted mine matte black with duracoat. It made it look more "tacticool".