Stevens 200, latest incarnation

hounddawg

12 years ago a buddy of mine took his .243 Stevens 200 to work one night and left it on the loading dock. The plant was out in the boonies and a pack of wild dogs had been hanging around and one almost bit a truck driver. Unfortunately about midnight the rifle was backed into by a forklift and the forklift won the fight. Cracked the gray plastic stock, trashed the scope and bent the barrel. I ended up buying it for $50. I used the receiver with a Criterion .204 ruger barrel, a Rifle Basix trigger, and a $100 Boyds stock. Changed the bolt knob and put a $ 200 Mueller scope on it and it was a tackdriver for about 3000 rounds.

Since then it has went through a .223 barrel, a couple of different stocks and had several scopes mounted on it. Here it is in it's latest version. A 6BR repeater. MDT stock and 6BR magazine, Magpul buttstock, Criterion 26 inch 6BR barrel in Varmint taper and a Clearridge Scope. 6BR has feed problems from most magazines but the MDT works great. A new bipod is on the way from Brownells.

I had worked up a load using N133 powder, 68 gn Berger FB bullets and CCI primers but decided to switch to Federal primers and save the CCI's for my F class rifle. I did a test to yesterday to see if I needed to tweak the powder charge and looks like .1 gn increase from the CCI load works best. Over a .5 grain spread in powder load I had a had a average of .6 MOA five round group. With a low of .473 MOA and a high of .739 MOA seated at magazine length. @ 3100 FPS this will be a great little varmint rifle with the right bullets without having to worry about getting real anal on powder charge

Anyway the rifle shoots great and looks great The little Stevens is unrecognizable from the truck rifle my buddy bought at Wally World years ago for about $300. I think I have had more fun with changing this little rifle around than any rifle I have ever owned. It's a kick when people see it for the first time and ask me what brand it is and I tell them it is a Stevens.

edit - the blue painters tape below the bolt is where I wrote the scope dope, not real fancy but it works

edit 2 - I figure no one has ever heard of Clearridge scopes either. I bought my first one before I bought that Stevens action. Now I own three and the originals glass is still clear and the turret adjustments are still crisp. Great little American owned company with quality reasonably priced scopes

http://www.clearidgeoptics.com/about-us-s/1821.htm

Attachments

• 6 BR tactical.jpg
    6 BR tactical.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 2021-03-04.jpg
    2021-03-04.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Many folks in the Air Rifle community sure have heard of Clearidge. I have one mounted now on a $700.00 Spring Powered Pellet rifle. Excellent Scope. Very nice glass, and very light. The one I have only weighs 11oz. Excellent quality especially for the price.

hounddawg

well if a scope can survive a spring loaded air rifle they can handle anything, good info to know. Thanks. I know the glass they use is Japanese, so far my oldest is about 14 years old and still really clear for a 400 dollar scope. Not March clear but for 1/10th the price of a March damn good. Like I tell my deep pocket shooting buddies, I just want to be able to read the mirage, not a paperback book at 600 yards

Last edited:

ndking1126

Very nice rifle. $50? That's insane. You buddy apparently didn't understand what part of the rifle made up it's value, ha! My first Savage was a Stevens 200 and it currently is attached to a Shilen barrel (260 Rem) and B&C Medallist stock. I've shot it to 1k yards once and it did great. You just can't go wrong with a Savage action and quality pre-fit barrel.

I was really upset when they went away from the Stevens 200 and towards the Edge/Axis line. That was not a customer-focused decision, that's for sure. Same with the rounded barrel nut. If you believe everything on the internet, apparently they are having some quality control issues lately, which was never the case. Safe to say I miss the old Savage.. but that's the end of my rant. I've since built a 270 Win for deer and I'm working on a 7mmRM for elk this year. All Savage actions, B&C stocks and Shilen barrels. I've got 2 Timney triggers, but with 3 rifles, I can't decide which two should get them. :)

hounddawg

He had called a LGS and got a price to replace the barrel and stock and they convinced him it would be better to just buy a new Savage 10 with a accutrigger. I could have probably talked him down to $25 if I had put a bit of effort into it

std7mag

Sweet looking rifle there, Hounddawg!

My Stevens 200 in 7mm-08, has been through several upgrades itself.
Factory barrel reamed to 7mm-08AI.
Factory stock stiffened in the forestock with light weight Bondo.
Caldwell picitinny rail/swivel at front swivel.
Knockoff Atlas type bipod with spike feet & risers.
Limbsaver rear pad.
EGW one piece 20 MOA base with Vortex Viper low rings.
Sightron STAC 4-20X50 scope.
Did trigger work myself. Consistant 1.5 lb pull.
Shot it in that configuration for my first F-Open match.

After 6,000+ rounds barrel was obviously toast.
Swapped barrel with an E.R. Shaw "over run special" barrel in 250 Savage.
24" sporter, blued for $100.
If i could learn NOT to shoot the occassional flier, it would be in the running at some local matches against custom bench rest guns at 200 yards using 75gr HP Sierra Varmint bullets.

Attachments

• 0421181233-576x1024.jpg
    0421181233-576x1024.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 16