Stephen Camp, Edumacation needed on P-35

Navy joe

Well, I thought I knew what I was doing. I currently have one gun that is a Belgian of '84 production, thought this was a MKIII. Problem comes today when I was scoping out a possible new aquisition. My gun locks on the barrel hood while this one has lugs ala 1911. Which is which? S/N starts 245Pxxx so I know its a '80s commercial gun of Belgian production, can't remember the second letter. Are aftermarket barrels made for both, opinions on wither, I'm kind of partial to the locking lugs myself.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. Could the second letter be a "V"? I had a MkII that was serial number 245PV06XXX.

If your pistol has an integral rib running the length of the slide on top and ambidextrous thumb safeties, it is a MkII.

All of the aftermarket bbls have locking lugs as the firearm would definitely be unsafe without them.

Now the newest HPs, both those sold under the Browning name and I THINK the very latest, imported by FN, no longer have the protrusion that was above the chamber and fit in a recess in the breechface, but this doesn't matter as the newer guns that I've seen still have the recess such that either type bbl would work.

I've put bbls made in the 70s in new guns and visa-versa with no problems.

Best.

Navy joe

Ok, so if it has a integral rib, fixed sights and Ambi safety and lock on the hood its MKIII then, lugs is MKII. I knew there were hooded barrels available, never seen the lugged ones sold. Will look for Bar-sto unless you have a better idea.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
If the pistol has the integral rib it is a MkII. The MkIII pistols do not have this rib. This rib is on the exterior top of the slide. I think we may be speaking of different things so I've included a couple of pictures.

All of the Browning HP bbls that I'm aware of are "lugged." The picture below is of a used Barsto HP 9mm bbl I own. You can see the two lugs that lock into the slide in front of the chamber area.

fdcc2a4b.jpg

This next picture is simply a close-up of the same bbl. You can see the lugs a bit more clearly in front of the chamber as well as the protrusion I spoke of at the rear of the bbl above the chamber entrance right above the feed ramp.

fdcc2a3a.jpg

The next picture is of a 9mm MkIII. The top of the slide has no rib, just the fixed sights as shown. Now, this gun does not have the right-side ambidextrous thumb safety lever show, but that's only because I removed it. Stocks are not factory and the hammer's been bobbed and the gun refinished, but this is about as close to stock as I have. The important thing is that you can see if the top of the slide looks like your gun or not. If yours does not have the rib, it is not a MkII. I think it likely is a MkII due to the serial number and the MkIII pistols had not come out if the second letter is a "V." My earliest MkIII has the serial number, "245PNXXXX" and was purchased in '89.

fde2c23b.jpg

I think that the MkII began production in '84. Mine had the "245PV" prefix and I bought it in '85.

...and Barsto makes a very fine bbl in my opinion.

Best.

Navy joe

Thanks, sorry for the confusion, I hadn't stripped mine for about 6 months and I've looked at so many guns I had it in my head that it had no lugs. Further research indicates that I'm an idiot, because they're there. Nice guns, very informative post, my current one is a 245PV, think its exactly the same as the potential purchase.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello, Navy Joe. No problem and you're no "idiot." Here the other day I drove to the range after taking my Hi Power and 300 rnds of .45ACP ammo!!!!!!!

Bahahahahhahahahha!

Best.