Sten Magazines Reliable?????

CReynolds

I was thinking of doing a 9mm conversion on my AR and am very interested in the Socom manufacturing (I think that is the correct name) adapter to use Sten mags. I think it is a better set up than the modified mags by Olympic (can't put them in a pouch). My question is how good are Sten mags? Are they reliable? Does any one make new springs for them? They are very cheap, so I wouldn't mind if a few were bad, I just don't want to buy a 10 of them and they all stink.

Thanks

Coley

Destructo6

They're double stack, single feed magazines, which aren't as reliable as Uzi or HK magazines (double stack/double feed).

I've read that they have a tendency to unload themselves if dropped.

Nukem

The Colt mags unload themselves when dropped. The Stens are usually OK. At $5 ea, It's not a big loss if one goes tits up.

sten/AR mags

I tihink I have one of these conversion units. I picked it up at Knob Creek. My 'smith seemed to think it was pretty neat and was going to copy it with some minor modification to make a tighter fit in the mag well of the AR.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Aside from an obviously defective one (looked like a truck ran over it), I have had no problem with STEN mags in a STEN. I can't speak for use in other guns.

Jim

kimberjim

I have found that in a sten they are reasonably reliable.I think your best bet would be Stirling mags...they are slightly curved and have a neat roller set up at the feed lips.IMO they are vastly superior to the Sten mag and work very well in the Sirling.
Just my .02 worth.