Steel VS SS Help

imdarren

I plan on a 4" Springfield XD 40 Purchase soon.
I cant decide on Steel or Stainless.
Here are some things Ive thought of, however, I'm sure you can give some advise on other things to consider.
Stainless is a bit softer / wears out slightly faster.
Stainless won't look worn at the muzzle end as fast
Stainless is flashy in the dark (harder to hide in the dark)
Steel finish wears at the muzzle.

What else should I consider? I can't decide, and need your help.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Carbon steel CAN be hardened to a higher level than stainless. However, other than sears and a few other high stress parts, most of a firearm is relatively soft compared to--say, a fine knife, for example.

I'd guess that the slide & barrel of a typical autopistol are in the neighborhood of 45RC regardless of whether it's SS or carbon steel.

All that to say that stainless isn't going to wear faster.

Get what you like, neither choice is bad.

gudel

if you're buying the XD, get the stainless version. i almost made my blued xd40 look stainless just by handling it for couple of days :D

jonathon

I only have one stainless gun. My Super Blackhawk

Before I got it, I said to myself "I'll never own a stainless gun!". After handling it, I loved how nice it looked, and now I am even more sold on it, since it looks nice even after holster wear.

RWK

I would respectfully suggest you have missed the most important element: Stainless steels are far more resistant to corrosion/rust than are carbon/ordnance steels. Also, I reject the “softer” and “wears out faster” argument; while this may be a theoretical truth, in practical sense steel slides and frames/receivers will last lifetimes, when maintained properly and when not subjected to over-pressures.

Lone Star

Look at a few non-stainless guns that have been routinely carried in hot, humid areas for a year or two. You'll prefer stainless! That's especially true for concealment pieces, which lie close to the body.

The late Bill Jordan, a famous Border Patrolman and NRA represenative and fantastic shot, told me that he considered stainless steel the greatest advance in handguns in his lifetime.

It is true that stainless heats up faster and retains heat longer, but unless you're doing a lot of range work, that's a minor issue. Even then, just wait a bit longer between strings of fire once the gun gets really hot. In the real world, where you've either killed or been killed within the first few shots exchanged, stainless is no problem at all. Likewise, you won't get but one or two shots at game before it's gone or down.

Lone Star

Jkwas

go stainless

It cleans so much easier, especially a revolver, and corrosion resistance is a big plus

stephen426

How about getting a Sig P229 with a blackened stainless slide? That way you have the corrosion resistance of the stainless without the "flashiness". Another thing you can do is get the stainless in a satin finish which will be a lot less flashy. My GP100 has a satin finish and it looks really good. I also recently got a Les Baer Thunder Ranch 1911 preowned. The previous owner had it hard chromed but had the top bead blasted to avoid reflections. This isn't going to be a carry gun so I didn't care about flashiness. I do love the added corrosion resistance though!

Just to let you know, factory blued finishes are not really as tough as you think. My Sig P245 develped rust spots in the case even after being wiped down with a gun cloth. The South Florida humidity really takes it toll on non-stainless steel here. If you are going to carry and get the gun all sweaty and nasty, go with stainless. You won't regret it.

PRD8R

MMMMMM Shiny is better!

Seriously, all but 2 of my handguns are stainless. One of those is soon to be traded/sold and the other will be refinished with something better than the worn bluing on it now. The resistance to rust and the ability to maintain that like-new look puts stainless down as a must.

imdarren

You guys have been VERY helpful !
My firsts concern was the fast wear the non stainless guns show.
Then you reminded me of the rust resistant factor.
It will be a gun to be carried a lot, so the rust is a big consideration.
Thanks for helping me make up my mind !
Stainless it will be !

Darren

Lone Star

Zeke-

I suspect that you're being a smart-alec, but I never asked Jordan about Tennifer, and I'm not sure that he had any experience with it, anyway.

I don't immediately recall just when he died, but Beretta and Glock weren't as popular then, and he normally preferred revolvers, anyway. He did own and use Colt .45 and S&W M459 pistols, but never fully trusted an auto as a serious carry gun. He also liked nicer finishes, not the dull Tennifer or Parkerizing.

I hope that is an adequate answer. I do know that such finishes on military Berettas wear pretty rapidly. However, I think their finish is actually called Bruniton.

The black "polycoat" on current CZ's holds up rather well, but CZ will be selling a stainless CZ-75B here late this summer, if present plans hold. The gun is sold now in Europe, and looks very nice in photos that I've seen.

Lone Star

CastleBravo

The durability/wear factor for stainless vs. carbon steel is basically a total non-issue in handgun applications. I mean, come on, revolvers in .500 Linebaugh Long are made of stainless steel... :eek:

XD Niner

My Bi-Tone XD-9 (Stainless) has shown no signs of corrosion, wear or "softness". Of course, I only have about 6000 rounds through it to date. ;)