Steel toes for hunting?

AndABeer

I went looking for some new boots today, dual purpose casual wear and hunting. My stop at Bass Pro was surprising as it seemed like a good third of the offerings were steel toed. I am required to wear steel toes at work and find them quite uncomfortable when compared to "normal" foot wear. Why would one wish to wear steel toes hunting?

stinger

I always wear the most comfortable shoes possible, no matter what I'm doing. Comfortable can mean many things to different people (ie dry, warm, ventilation) and I have yet to own a pair of steel toes that I would hunt in. But, I have not tried every pair. I'm sure there are some out there that are about as comfortable as non-steel toed.

Stinger

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
My preferred boot in dry country, with lots of rocks and cactus, is either the Russell Birdhunter or the Red Wing "20-mile". These are 10", lace-up. (Not recommended for snowy country, or wetlands.) I usually have a saddle-shop add a leather patch above the sole at the instep, as extra protection against rock-bruising.

I like a soft sole, preferably with no cleats or lugs. Most of the country I've hunted has been quite rocky, and the rocks are sharp-edged. The soft sole gives lots of friction against sliding off a mountain...

I've commonly done 12 to 15 miles a day in really rough country with these boots...

Steel toes? No way, for me. I want as light a weight as possible.

Art

Zorro

Actually Steel Toes and Leather DO! help out in a heavy Cactus environment.

Like say West Texas and Southern New Mexico.

One Coachella Cactus in the Shins will convert you to using heavier boots.

One Word OUCH! :mad:

redneck

If you need a pair of comfortable steel toed boots. You should try on a pair of Justin Double Comfort Workboots. I don't think that the steel toes are as comfortable as the others but they're still very good. I wear them to work. Baling straw I'll have to walk around for about 12-14 hours a day and don't have any problems.
I have the lacers, they have a pull on type also.

Hunting I'd probably go with something lighter with a crepe sole. My ropers are much quieter to walk around in, but probably don't give enough support for some terrains. I do get in trouble for "sneaking" up on the lady that boards a horse in my barn. I never knew walking in and saying HI was sneaking up, but it continually scares her if she has her back turned :rolleyes:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Zorro, a cactus is a wuss compared to lecheguilla and catclaw. :) Ever notice how lecheguilla grows to just above boot-top height? There's a reason the local nickname is "it'll gitcha".

And I've seen times when I had to halfway get undressed to get a jacket or shirt loose from catclaw. Wretched stuff! Blue quail think it's prime habitat, the little devils...

:D, Art

Hkmp5sd

I've worked in steel toed Red Wings for about 20 years now. Used to complain that steel toes sucked until I crushed my toes the second time (bit slow in the learning department there). Since I work 12 hour shifts, they have to be comfortable. Keep them waterproofed and also wear them hunting with no problems.

dakotasin

i hunted once or twice in steel toes before...it can get mighty cold here (s.d.) during hunting seasons, though. won't wear steel toes to hunt in anymore.

Larry Ashcraft

I've hunted waterfowl in a pair of steel-toed Sorels for about 15 years. They were a good deal at the time and just happened to have steel toes. Never had a problem with weight or cold, but then we usually hunt over decoys on the river.

They saved my toes more than a couple times when I was cutting firewood.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
It does not get too cold here and I have used a well broken in pair of Red Wing steel toes boots to hunt a few times when it was dry.

Usually I wear a pair of hunting boots that are leather on top and rubber on the bottom. Thats needed here because of the wet conditions.

Right now the most comfortable shoes I own are a pair of low cut (they almost look like tennis shoes) steel toed shoes that I broke in on the rigs in Syria. I wear them more than anything else, and they are almost just as light as tennis shoes but are ANSI Z-41 rated.