steel targets

AL45

I'm thinking about buying a steel target for my wife and I. We shoot .380 auto, .45 acp, .45 Colt and .22 lr handguns. I occasionally shoot Ruger Only loads in my .45 Colt Blackhawk. Is there 1 target for all these calibers? Do we have to shoot cast lead or can we also shoot jacketed bullets? What should the steel thickness be to accommodate all these calibers? What is the minimum distance for these calibers? And finally, just how safe is shooting steel if all safety rules are followed?

NoSecondBest

There are a number of places on the internet where you can order steel plates in different sizes and shapes that are made out of AR500 steel. I own quite a few and I can tell you that they will stop anything you shoot at them short of a canon shot. They come in thicknesses of 1/8", 1/4", and 1/2". After thousands of shots they don't even have dimples on them. I used to use just mild steel and even .22lr will dimple these and bend them over time. I had a complete set of Sportsman's Team Challenge targets made out of this mild steel and after a few months on constant shooting the entire 4'x8' (feet, not inches) sheet of steel was getting bent into a curve! I've let rifle shooters shooting .243, 22-250, 308, etc shoot at my AR500 targets @ 1/4" and not even dimple them at 100 yards. Note: dimpled steel targets are, or can be, dangerous. Over the years I've seen some pretty nasty wounds from bullet fragments coming back and hitting the shooter or a spectator from a distance of twenty-five to fifty yards and cause significant injury. I once saw the range master take a 38Super slug into the face and lodge inside his sinus cavities. He needed surgery to get it out. I myself once had a large piece of 45acp return from fifty yards and hit me in the chest and leave a large laceration. Regardless of what anyone tells you on the internet, mild steel can cause serious injury. Get some AR500 targets and enjoy years of shooting with a high degree of safety. Anyone else using mild steel isn't avoiding injury.....it's not "if" , it's WHEN.

Bucksnort1

AL45,

For a quick and really cheap steel target, used circular saw blades suspended between two support will work ok for 22LR. I found that 223 goes through the blades so you can't tell if you hit it. I found a good supply of the blades at the Habitat For Humanity Re-Stores, if you have any in your area.

The stores are a place where people and businesses can donate construction materials, chairs, books, plumbing, electrical and a lot of other items for resale by Habitat.

g.willikers

I use these:
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Targets/World-of-Targets.aspx
Good quality at very reasonable prices.
These are my favorite:
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Targ...-Targets®-Double-Mag-Super-Double-Mag™-S.aspx

Lead bullets are safer as jacket shards can cut like razors.
Ten yards is considered the minimum distance for steel targets with typical handguns, and only then if the bullets are directed downward.
Frangible bullets are available for better safety.

For complete peace of mind, use wood.
Bowling pins make great reactive targets.
Or make them from thick wood yourself.
They can last a surprisingly long time.

Last edited:

AL45

Thanks guys. I don't mind spending the money for good quality steel. It's a whole lot cheaper than a trip to the hospital. After research, I would guess that AR500 or AR550 and 3/8" to 1/2" would be the way to go. I am a little confused over what bullets to use. I reload, so I am flexible. I have read GOOD and BAD about every type of bullet design. I have also read that the slower the bullet the more likely a bad ricochet will take place. I prefer lead because of expense, but have read that hollow points are the only ones to use. I am also confused about distance. For handguns, some say no closer than 7 yards and some say no closer than 30 yards. The only thing everyone agrees on is to wear safety glasses, which we of course do any way.

NoSecondBest

Some of the AR500 targets I have are 1/2" which is WAY over kill for any handgun. The problem with the 1/2" is that they often don't even move when hit with a .22lr and if you're wearing hearing protection you don't even hear them when hit. I'm glad you're being cautious. You can't replace a lost eye. Shooting at 7 yards is too close with any target. FWIW, I've seen bowling pins send bullets in every direction when shot at 25+ yards. Bullets don't penetrate them when hit on the edges. I've shot at ranges where all bullets had to be FMJ so that they didn't fragment, and I've been on ranges where they didn't allow FJM because of ricochets. Lead is a good choice. Hanging swingers are good in that the bullet is directed downwards when hit.

g.willikers

Some disagreement about ricochets off bowling pins.
Before buying steel targets, I mostly used bowling pins hung from U shaped hangers with small chain.
And they got a lot of use.
The only glancing or ricochet shots went either down into the ground or to the side and rearward into the backstop.
Nothing ever came back uprange.
So, they seemed about as safe as any reactive targets could be, other than balloons or clays and other breakables.
When the pins got hard to obtain, I made equivalents from flat thick wood.
Without the rounded shape, they were even better.
Edge hits just took a chunk and kept going.
Cheap, too and easily replaced.

BTW, all my bullets on steel have been lead swc, in all calibers.
They flatten out real nice into coin shapes and make great gifts to any kids that might be there.
If there's no one to give them to, I put them in a little box in plain view.
They're always gone by the next visit to the range.

Last edited:

9x45

You shoot any steel, FMJ, cast lead, coated, and you will get fragged. This was a 1.5 gram shard from a coated lead 40S&W 180 grain bullet, shaped like a meteor. It went in 5mm deep, took 45 minutes at urgent care to get it out. I've been sliced by jackets also, took a corkscrew shaped one to my right thumb, every time I pulled the trigger, blood squirted out. My buddy took a full mass bullet to the cheek. One of my crew took a jacket frag in the shoulder, had to leave it there, too close to a nerve. That's why you never, ever, take your eye protection off, ever. And if any steel is pot marked, don't ever shoot at it. The full splash bullet landed on one of our guys head from 3 bays over.

image37018.jpg

image35959.jpg

image37233.jpg

image35183.jpg

g.willikers

Eghad, all that blood and I've just finished eating, too.
Yuk.
So far the only fragments that have drawn blood on me have been from jackets.
One nearly got my eye, when it bounced off my glasses an wound up in the side of my nose.
Needed a pair of pliers to get it out.
Yup, always wear protective glasses, no matter what.
I did get one of those flattened coin sized lead bullets in the chest, from a dueling tree.
Those trees are probably the worst, due to the design.
About like playing table tennis with a vengeful opponent, especially if both shooters hit the same level targets at the same time.

NoSecondBest

Good post 9x45. It can't be stressed enough to wear safety glasses at all times when on the range...whether you're shooting or watching. Side shields aren't a bad idea either. I've been hit a number of times and have gotten minor cuts and once I got a pretty decent slice to my chest (it cut through my shirt). I've seen some pretty nasty wounds. Shooting steel requires using good targets (hardened steel and not bent, curved, or pock marked) and wearing good safety equipment.

9x45

Yup, never take your eyes off. Leave your ears off, ouch, but your hearing will come back. Many times I have stopped the match until everyone puts their eyes on, or leaves the stage. And in competition, if you leave your eyes or ears off that is an automatic re-shoot. Your second run may not be as good....

jmhyer

I have one of these and love it...
http://www.letargets.com/content/at-202-evil-roy-target.asp

While it weighs about 40lbs, it folds up nicely and rides in the trunk of my car everywhere I go. I've shot it with 22LR, 40S&W, 9mm, and 45ACP. Lead and copper jacketed ammo. From distances as close as 10 yards. No problems to date. Yes...always wear eye protection and long sleeves and pants is good advice.

Last edited:

DMK

I've been shooting AR500 armor plate targets from shootingtargets7. They are pretty affordable and have discounts. I got 3/8" in various sized and shoot these from 15-50 yards for handguns and 100 yards for rifle calibers (50y for 7.62x39) and no permanent marks at all on my targets except for a friend's accidental .223 shot at 25y which made a slight dimple.

I hang the targets at an angle and suspend them with 6-8" of old auto fan belt or used firehose connected to cheap garden shepards hooks. That gives them plenty of flexibility to deflect any jacket material down into the ground.

Here's the thickness you need for various calibers:
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/selection

You can get $10 off at this link: https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?___store=default&ref=Z2s2SWx5dzFIdTg9