steel shot choke recommendations

rem870hunter

i know i saw a page but i can't find it now that i need it. but does anyone know where i can find a shot/choke link or page? i can't remember if i can or can't use larger than #4 fine (steel) shot through my full choke tube. i know looser than modified i can use any size shot lead or steel. but i have a few boxes of #2 and bb steel. i am patterning both in the morning. will a full choke give me poor results with the #2 or bb shot at 35-40 yards?

chaser_2332

alot of the time full chokes are not for steel shot, however most of the time with still you can go down a choke and still get the same pattern, thus a modified with lead will hold close to a full pattern with steel. However the best still shot tube i have found is a pattern master.

BigJimP

The general guideline is never go tighter than a Modified Choke on steel shot. The reason is Steel is harder than lead and the choke will not be able to compress the load - and running steel shot thru a tight choke, like a Full, may result in barrel damage ( like a bulge in the barrel ).

Look at websites like Remington - they'll give you choke recommendations for their loads / but like other responsder told you look at the choke tube that goes in your gun ( a Mod will probably say Mod for Lead or Full for Steel ).

rem870hunter

i found a page on the remington website about the choke tubes. it said to use no larger than BBB size. the full tube i have says for lead or steel.

as far as buckshot they say use modified choke but on the buckshot boxes it says best results with full choke. i tried the full tube with buckshot before it didn't work well with larger than #4 buck.

i tried the winchester xpert brand steel.
3" 1 and 1/8 oz. load of BB and #2

i plan on getting and patterning the remington and federal loads of similar soon.

thank you for your help and advice.