steel shim on a brass frame

dlbarr

I saved this pic off a thread on this forum but can't locate it a 2nd time. Anybody know where this is...I'd like to do this on my '51 Pietta to keep the frame from getting beat outa shape.

Any help would be appreciated....Thanks

Attachments

• Steel shimmed brass frame.jpg
    Steel shimmed brass frame.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 114

the rifleer

Unless you shoot above the manufactures maximum load and you shoot 100 rounds a day for a year, you are not going to bend the frame out of shape.

dlbarr

Thanks articap, I remember seeing that now. Copied on a word doc and kept it with the pic. I'll do that fix sometime....maybe :eek:

madcratebuilder

That shim well not stop peening on a brass frame recoil shield. It's the ratchet hitting the recoil shield that causes peening. The spacer in the photo is for keeping spent caps from jamming the revolver. These spacers are from the Manhattan revolvers if my memory is not to far gone.:confused:

Keep your barrel gap tight, .008 or so, and keep the load under 18grs for a .36 and 22grs for a .44 brasser and you'll be OK.

Smokin'Joe

Recoil Pads

Instead of a steel shim I installed brass recoil pads on my brass frame ASM Wells Fargo

IMG_0003-1.jpg

Drill and tap threads for brass screws so they line up between nipples when at full cock. File or stone screw height to match the height of the recoil ring.

IMG_0006-1.jpg

Notice position of pads between nipples at full cock.

dlbarr

I'm sort of wondering why not use steel screws instead of the brass? A brass screw is as soft as the brass recoil shield, right? So, theoretically, as the screws compress, your recoil is just going to be directed to the actual frame again anyway....right?

Not that I think your idea is not good, just seems that a different material would be appropriate.

Smokin'Joe

The screws act as recoil pads adding to the rather small surface area of the recoil ring. The brass screws will not compress any more than the recoil ring will. Both the recoil ring and the pads can wear over time but with the increase in surface area the wear will be slowed. These pads do exactly what the steel shim is designed to do which is to deliver the shock of firing to the frame. However, no adjustment to nipple length is required since these pads are spaced between the nipples. Steel screws can be used but adjusting their length to match the height of the recoil ring will be difficult.

Smokin'Joe

Why?
Because I purposely installed the screws slightly higher than the recoil ring and adjusted their height to match the recoil ring using abrasives. The same technique could be used with steel screws but it would be more difficult.