Steel J-frame in the pocket?

glockopop

I have a pre-lock M37 that I got for pocket carry. With most of my pants the hammer spur isn't a problem, but I certainly wouldn't mind trading it for a spurless model. I'd just hack it off like I did with my M64, but it's blued and pinned and in good shape and has the original box, manual, cleaning rod, numbered grips, etc. so I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I did.

I'm thinking about going for a steel J frame if I trade, just because I wouldn't mind having a little more weight for shooting. The airweight feels like it isn't even there in a pocket, and it seems like the steel frame would weigh a little more but wouldn't bother me.

Does anybody regularly pocket carry a steel J frame?

velocette

Try Robert Mika's pocket holsters. They are inexpensive, effective and high quality. Made in USA by a retired LAPD cop.

Roger

rgillis

I've pocket carried both airweights and steel framed smiths, my personal preference is the airweight. I personally don't notice a huge difference in perceived recoil, but I do notice the difference in my pocket.

Another vote for the Mika, it's a great pocket holster at a very fair price.

Keep the 37, I think you'll regret parting with it. Keep carrying it until you save up for something else. I'm normally the type who says, hell if you're not using it, trade it for something else. But the older Smiths are worth keeping, IMHO.;)

dewidmt

Years ago I carried a 649 and didn't mind the steel weight all that much. Now that I'm a few more years down the road, I carry a 442. These guns don't get shot all that much (maybe 50 rds a month) and it's all standard pressure ammo. So I prefer not lugging around the extra ounces. If I feel REALLY lazy, I stick my Kel-Tec P32 in a pocket.....

ATW525

I have a Taurus 650 (steel frame Centennial Knock off) that I used to pocket carry and it never bothered me. I now carry Airweight Smiths and on the rare occassion I've had to drop the old Taurus in my pocket it feels like a brick in comparison. I guess perception of comfort is relative to what you're used to.

Chesster

I can carry an M60 or M37 Smith and even my Colt 38 Agent or Dectective Special for that matter. The Steel is not a problem to carry comfortably, but, tends to make the pocket sag in some pants increasing the appearance of "pocket carry". Comfort in shooting is not an issue as most of us do not have the need to draw and discharge our weapons weekly in personal defense as seen on TV. And if we did, prison would probably prohibit our access to this forum. CCW is for long term ever present comfortable inconspicuous concealed carry to provide an effective tool for handling the worst case scenerio should it happen.

I have Mika holsters on the less expensive side and Kramer's on the high end. I also have a couple of no name brand, a few of Jerry Aherns' Pocket Pals/Pocket Plus, and an Uncle Mike's or two. They all work.

That is my preferred method of carry.

Unkle Mikes pocket holster containing one Taurus m605 (.357 magnum 2'' snubbie 5 shot J-frame sized gun) in the right front pocket when I leave the house.

glockopop

I went to a store tonight and put a 640 in my pocket, and it was pretty comfy, but when I started walking, it started shifting around. A pocket holster would be a must! It also had a full grip instead of the boot grip like I'd use, so the fit wasn't great. I didn't realize how much longer the 640 was. I also tried a Kahr PM9, and it fit well in the pocket but was real "printy".

I was looking at these 2 holsters:
http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=25
http://desantisholster.com/n38.html
But I think I'm gonna go with the Mika. I like that it's made by a small company run by a guy with real CCW experience. Plus it's cheaper than both of those!:D

Chesster

But I think I'm gonna go with the Mika. I like that it's made by a small company run by a guy with real CCW experience. Plus it's cheaper than both of those!

And Robert is a decent honest guy to deal with, making a quality product at a good price. God bless him.

Jkwas

Seeing as how you are purchasing this gun specifically for pocket carry, I would recommend going as light as possible. I was carrying my Taurus 605 in my pocket and it was do-able. Having said that when I shopped for a pocket gun I went all the way and got a Keltec. If I didn't go with it, I would have gone to an airweight without hesitation. You don't have to cinch your belt as tight and you don't even feel like you're carrying. As a result you will carry more and be way more comfortable.

mtnbkr

If you like your 37, try finding one of the contract overrun 37-2s that hit the market a couple years ago. They have a factory bobbed hammer, all forged internals, and no lock. I see them regularly for $350-$450. I bought mine in late 2005 for $390ish and it has been my CCW ever since (pocket and belt carry).

Chris

Neophyte1

offering

glockopop: 638 and pocket problems. It still gives the double action or Single action offering.
Until recently mine stayed either front or back pocket. Met "Murph" [leather manipulator] he showed me his; he didn't know that I carried the 638, and it is the first time I had even considered a holster. His works for me. He then made me one.
I leave it in the holster all the time now; otherwise I'd just cram it into a pocket:D
Follow up when you can

fastbolt

It's not all that hard to find folks who 'pocket-holster' carry an all-steel S&W J-frame.

I did it with my older 649 Bodyguard for a few years. I can say that carrying the steel Bodyguard was easier than carrying my Ruger SP-101 in a pocket holster, but neither really satisfied me for that purpose.

That's why I eventually bought a 642-1. I quickly decided it was a great choice for my needs.

I later bought a 37-2, too. Another great little pocket holster choice, although I won't shoot +P ammunition through it.

Then I bought one of the early M&P 340 Centennial models. Even lighter in the pocket.

I draw a personal line at the Airlite models with aluminum cylinders because I dislike titanium cylinders, but I do have to admit that they are outstanding from the perspective of being very lightweight pocket carry revolvers.

I really regret selling and trading off a couple of J-frames. I wish I'd kept them, even if I wasn't carrying them very often.

I don't plan to ever get rid of any of my J-frames from now on, and I'll probably continue to add to my collection.

Oh yeah, I never got rid of my older model stainless 649 Bodyguard. I'm glad, too, since I've been carrying and shooting it a lot more recently. I rediscovered why I liked it so much many years ago, especially when shooting it alongside my Airweight models. ;)

Last edited:

9mm1033

I do, a M36:

DSCN3604.jpg

DMK

I have both an airweight S&W 642 and a stainless steel Ruger SP101 (which is actually very slightly larger than a J-frame).

When I carry the 642 I don't even feel it. The SP101 is more noticable, but carries fine in larger jeans pockets. In Dockers, I have to go with the 642.

At the range though, the SP101 is much, much nicer to shoot. With 38s, it's just soft and smooth. With hot .357Mags, it feels about the same as the 642 does with .38s. If I ever got in a situation where I needed a gun, I'd much rather have the SP101 in my hands than the 642.