Steel frame 9mm

Wwrhodes91

Hey guys,
One category of gun that I do not own is a nice steel frame pistol. I'm not completely opposed to .45, but I already reload 9mm, it will only be used for recreation, and I like softer recoil. The main things I'm looking for are accuracy and reliability. My main pistol right now is a glock 34... I'm looking for something with a little different feel. The first two options that come to mind are a 9mm 1911 or a Sig 226. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks.

jmhyer

Those were also the first in my mind. Others might be the Baby DE or the STI 2011. Also Beretta 92 and CZ 75. Or clones of these by Stoeger and EAA.

Last edited:

Wwrhodes91

I forgot about the CZ 75. Not a fan of the 92s. I've only heard good things about the CZs though. How would you rate the 226 compared to the 75? Accuracy about the same? What makes the 226 worth the extra $$$, mainly track record?

ATW525

The Sig P226 doesn't have a steel frame. At least not the standard production model, though the Elite Stainless and most of the X-Fives do.

ParabellumJ

I forgot about the CZ 75. Not a fan of the 92s. I've only heard good things about the CZs though. How would you rate the 226 compared to the 75? Accuracy about the same? What makes the 226 worth the extra $$$, mainly track record?

I've shot a 226 but never owned one. I do own a 75B in stainless steel. There is no pistol inherently more accurate than the CZ. It's accuracy is a product of its design. Why is the Sig more expensive? Marketing IMO. CZ does a poor job marketing their products in the US. Don't get me wrong, Sig is a great gun, perfect duty weapon. But for me the 226 grip is a bit thick and the bore axis too high. Also, the 226 is DA/SA with a decocker. With the CZ you have the option of a decocker, or manual thumb safety (cocked and locked), or single action only.

Wwrhodes91

I've shot a 226 but never owned one. I do own a 75B in stainless steel. There is no pistol inherently more accurate than the CZ. It's accuracy is a product of its design. Why is the Sig more expensive? Marketing IMO. CZ does a poor job marketing their products in the US. Don't get me wrong, Sig is a great gun, perfect duty weapon. But for me the 226 grip is a bit thick and the bore axis too high. Also, the 226 is DA/SA with a decocker. With the CZ you have the option of a decocker, or manual thumb safety (cocked and locked), or single action only.

Hmm. I've heard that the triggers and sights could use an upgrade in 75s, but I hear so many good things about their accuracy and ergos. I've never shot either, but handling the 226 it just feels like quality.

Wreck-n-Crew

For the price, +3 on the 5906. Soft shooting as there is and plenty accurate. You can get some real fast shots off in succession and remain quite accurate.

Here's my 5906
IMG_20130918_175412_0.jpg

ParabellumJ

Hmm. I've heard that the triggers and sights could use an upgrade in 75s, but I hear so many good things about their accuracy and ergos. I've never shot either, but handling the 226 it just feels like quality.

CZ sights are 3 dot and I have no issue with them. DA trigger is heavy. I lighted mine up with a reduced power Wolff spring, cheap and easy to install.

dugsok

SAR B6P 9mm pistol hc. I bought one a month ago at slick guns 242.00 perfect shooter 15 rounds.
made in Turkey, bad thing prices have gone up already :(

Last edited:

ParabellumJ

CZ sights are 3 dot and I have no issue with them. DA trigger is heavy. I lighted mine up with a reduced power Wolff spring, cheap and easy to install.

Also you can use the money you save vs the Sig for a trigger job and new set of sights if you want.

Here is my stainless 75

ze5emyma.jpg

sigarms228

Hey guys,
One category of gun that I do not own is a nice steel frame pistol. I'm not completely opposed to .45, but I already reload 9mm, it will only be used for recreation, and I like softer recoil. The main things I'm looking for are accuracy and reliability. My main pistol right now is a glock 34... I'm looking for something with a little different feel. The first two options that come to mind are a 9mm 1911 or a Sig 226. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks.

The P226 is an outstanding choice. I like them so much that I own two of them and the P226/P228 are my very top favorite 9MM pistols and to me well worth the investment. Other favorite 9MM of mine are the the Walther PPQ and the HK P30L but those are poly frame. I have tried just about every 9MM out there.

The standard P226 is an extremely strong aluminum alloy frame and plenty have been known to go past 100,000 rounds fired. The P226 MK25 is what the SEALS use - yeah its that good and yes it feels like pure quality in the hand.

http://policelink.monster.com/products/products/257-sig-sauer-p226

There are other metal frame 9MM pistols also and as always it is best to try them out for yourself and then invest in what works best for you.

I like to use the Mecgar 18 round flush fit magaines in mine. Parts and accessories are widely available for the P226.

Good luck!

One of my P226s

Last edited: