Steel cased revolver rounds?

Apple a Day

I have seen and used plenty of ammo for semi-auto calibers with mild steel cases (commie guns) but have never seen any for revolvers. Any reason why not?

44 AMP

Staff
Steel cases

generally, steel cased ammo was made during wartime (1943) to save brass for more important uses (in this country). Foreign countries use steel cases because it is cheaper than brass, a big consideration for cash strapped communist countries producing millions of rounds of military ammo.

Since these were military calibers, and no modern military uses revolver rounds in anywhere near the quantity, there is no reason to use steel.

Jon_Z

Just a thought, is steel soft enough to "form" to the walls of the cylinder after firing like brass or aluminum?

ribbonstone

Works in semi-autos...the steel 9mm and .45cases hve worked in various revolvers....but there is LESS contraction after expansion and a revovler has to eject a bunch of them using finger pressure, while a semi-auto tends to have a whole lot more extraction energy on tap. (brass is good about contraction...and one of the reasons it gets used for cases under normal circumstances).

Not real sure...thought there were some Nagant revolver rounds made in steel. Wouldn't surprise me...had some old-old steel cased .22RF ammo, and some more recent .22rounds as well (but given that the firing pin has to ent the case rim, you have to wonder "why').

Sulaco2

Wolf says it is soon branching into oddball calibers including revolvers so we may see more of them, But I don't think they will continue to use steel most likley they will use brass on their older rounds like the Nagant.

radom

as the steel expands and does not contract down it wont work in revolvers unless you like to pound cases out of the gun. been there done that...it sucks..

Maser

Aren't the casings for the CCI handgun shotshell ammo made of steel? They seem a little hard to be aluminum.

RJay

The CCI shotshells are nickled brass. Reloadable, when ever I shoot one or two I just throw it in with rest.