Steel case ammo

Noreaster

Any info on using steel case ammunition in your semi auto rifle, does it damage the firearm. My budget is hurting and I'm looking at Herter's, Wolf, Tula...

viciouskitty

I use steel in my AR and in my Galil they both run great, the only thing is steel is dirtier than brass because it does not expand as well to seal the chamber and the rounds tend to be underpowered but for plinking and practice its great cheap ammo I would look for brown bear I like that steel cased ammo

Mrgunsngear

It won't damage your firearm. The only thing it could possibly do IMO is speed extractor wear. I use it (Silver Bear, Brown Bear, and Golden Tiger) almost exclusively in my ARs and AKs and have never had an issue through 1000s upon 1000s of rounds. Never had any extractor wear either. Boxotruth.com has a good demonstration/test of the steel cased ammo myths floating around the internet. It's worth a look. Bottom line, get it and fear not.

Slamfire

Should not hurt a thing. Steel cases have a propensity to stick in the chamber, what I do is take the 20 rounds I plan to load, put a couple of drops of oil on them, roll them in my hands to spread the oil, load them without dropping them into the dirt, and function is fine.

Breech friction is undesirable and reducing breech friction improves function.

CTS

I shoot Wolf regularly and have never had a single problem. They are even accurate enough for most uses. I can usually get 1.5"-2" groups at 100 yards.

Bamashooter

Sucks in my opinion. If you want to use it thats fine but I would rather pay another dollar and get good ammo that isnt filthy and underpowered with the added bonus of brass since Im a reloader. YMMV

arizona98tj

The last steel cased ammo I purchased (last year) was 3.99 a box...and I did not have to purchase any specific quantity to get that price.

Could you please tell me where I can get "good ammo" for 4.99 per box. Thanks

Usertag

It is perfectly fine to use steel ammo. Only problems is you can't reload it, It doesn't expand for maximum pressure, and it is harder on the extractor. These are actually miniscule problems, if it is just for the range.

44 AMP

Staff
I like my guns too much to feed them steel. They get brass, and since I like reloading, they seldom get berdan primed brass.

I'm not going to say don't shoot steel, its your gun. Some people say they have trouble with it, others say its fine. I'll sometimes shoot some milsurp steel cased ammo, out of combloc weapons, but never out of anything I value highly. I wouldn't buy any new made stuff, but thats a personal thing, I have lots of brass already.

Just remember, while there are exceptions, with ammo, most of the time you get what you pay for.

If you are on a budget, and it works for you, go ahead. But I think you would be better off using reloadable brass, and reloading it. Thats the other beauty of brass cases, once you fire steel, you're done, except for what the scrap guy will give you for it. You can reload brass until it fails, then get something from the scrap guy!