Steel BLR vs Alloy BLR

j.chappell

I am looking for a BLR in 358WIN. I have limited experience with them and was wondering if anyone had experience with both models. I am looking for any comparison you can make between the two.

Thank you.

J.

murphjup

J,

Sorry I cant help you with your comparision, I have a new alloy with pistol grip in .308, that I am very happy with...

The glossy stock is the only downside, it can get scuffed easily... a little too delicate for me for a hunting gun... But it sure is pretty...

attachment.php

I just put 30 rounds through it today at the range, it shoots about 1.5 inch groups, not on a stand or sandbags...

:)

dmazur

No personal experience, though I'm considering a BLR takedown in .243 and have, therefore, done some research.

What I've stumbled across is two things, which I believe to be true -

1. Both the steel and alloy receivers have bolt lock-up in the barrel, so there is no difference in strength. That is, the alloy receivers can handle the same calibers the steel receiver can.

2. The alloy receiver may cause some problems with scope mounting if care is not exercised, as the holes are drilled and tapped into alloy instead of steel.

So, it looks like there really isn't much to worry about with the alloy receiver vs. steel receiver.

j.chappell

murphjup,

Do what I have done to those glossy bastards....take a pice of 0000 steel wool and go over the entire stock with it. This will in no way make it throught he finish and it dulls it to a nice satin look. Take your time and care as you can go through on corners and countours.

Thanks guys as I have wanted a 358 in a BLR, I am having my smith build me one on a M77 action so I am not sure if I'll get the BLR now or not.

J.

murphjup

Thanks J

I may try that after ir gets beat up more, for now, I do like the look, I have learned to touch it up with furniture touch up stain...

Let us know when you get yours and how you like shooting it...

:)

j.chappell

I did it to a few Remington BDL's and one of the guys I use to hunt with got mad at me for doing it to my own rifle, I just laughed. You have to do it right though, i saw a guy once do it but used way to much pressure and got big scratches instead of a dull shine. I forgot to tell you to hit it with a wax after that.

I take the barreled action out, and just carefully go over the whole thing very lightly till it all looks the same. You will have to wipe it down as you go to make sure the finish looks even. Then I clean it off and hit it with a wax and thats it.

I have my eye on a steel receiver 358 locally. The owner of the shop really wants one of my rifles for his personal collection so we just may make a trade. I will keep everyone posted.

J.

Last edited:

rahtreelimbs

2. The alloy receiver may cause some problems with scope mounting if care is not exercised, as the holes are drilled and tapped into alloy instead of steel

This is not a worry. The tapped holes for scope mounting are actually steel inserts. Thread to thread is all steel!

rahtreelimbs

This is one of two BLR's that I have. This one is a Limited run from the 2006 Shotshow. This one is in 325WSM there were 175 made in that caliber.

Shooting 220 gr. Sierra Gamekings over 61.0 grs. of IMR 4007 SSC with a WLR Primer. She shoots well. I have a regular Pistol grip BLR that is blued with wood stock that shoots 1 MOA groups with factory ammo. The scope in the pic is a 4-12x40 Pentax Gameseeker. Not enough eye relief. I chaged it ovewr to a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x50 mounted in Dednutz mounts!

BLR005.jpg

BLR2.jpg

BLR1.jpg

Ahshucks

Most furniture makers cover their wood with up to 3-coats of gloss poly, the last coat is reserved for satin or semi-gloss finish poly. Supposedly creates a dimension of depth. I would try that before roughing up my new guns with steel wool and sandpaper.