Staying proficient with a handgun...

C7AR15

I have shot handguns for 30 years. A lot of it in Service Pistol matches and PPC competitions. Now I'm just a Plinker.

How much shooting practice do you think it takes to remain competent ??

I'm coming up with 8-10 visits to the range per year and shooting 4 boxes of ammo (200 rds) per session.

Doing some mag changes and clearing jams.
I think I will keep the distance from 7 -15 Yds. Some fast and some slow shooting.

What do the Police use to keep members sharp ? And the Military ? Or what kind of drills have you made up over the years ??
Your thoughts on this .......

mdcmn7

In the military we spent a few weeks at basic learning the rifle and that was living with it day in and day out. There was hours upon hours of assembling/disassembling, dry fire, tactics etc etc etc

We knew every nook of the gun

After that pistol was a few hour class and both were shot a few times a year.

To be honest, even when not shooting we still carried, trained worked with or did something with the rifle/pistol fairly often

Then when deploying there was a fair amount of range time but again more training without actually shooting

As I think About it, the vast majority of training in the military was not actually shooting and putting rounds down range. It was tactics, dry fire, ROE and living working with both a rifle and pistol as a tool

As far as specific drills it varied based on the instructor and resources available. We did (non live fire) drills as low tech as paper targets taped to the wall, plastic Jody targets hidden in the woods, all the way up to full on combat simulators with movie theater sized screens that were interactive

The phrase "train as you fight" was the general theme

I'd be curious to see what other Vets experiences are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Targa

I like to get to the range as often as possible but like so many I am a busy man and often it is just not feasible. I probably only average about once a month and fire 200-300 rounds. Range aside, I like to find a spot on the wall and dry fire every now and then while practicing fundamentals.
Remember that just because someone is LE or Military, it doesn't make them a highly skilled operator...:D. Most, that I know and work with anyway, have no more interest in firearms than their required qualifications and familiarization courses such as urban warfare and active shooter training...etc.

ROCK6

Frequency is good, established drills with purpose are better. As already mentioned, don't discount dry-fire drills. I would say my drawing, FTF/FTE and magazine change drills are about 70% dry fire practice before doing live fires.

Much depends on the flexibility of the range you practice on. I can do a few drills on my property, but we have public range that is not used much (especially at 0600:D) and my son and I can get in a couple hours of shoot and move drills. I rarely load mags more than 5-6 rounds, relying more on magazine changes, using cover or doing transition drills.

I think the key is quality training over quantity training. Doing static firing in a very controlled environment lets you work on accuracy and trigger control, but that's about it...you could shoot 500 rounds and not get much training value from a static environment. 30 minutes of quality drills are better than two hours sitting at a bench.

ROCK6

mdcmn7

I've gotta agree with targa

When I was in, I never shot outside of the military, and many of the guys cared only enough to qualify

And most of the military are not operators

I was a medic and most of my operating was on foot blisters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

More is certainly better but as a seasoned shooter I doubt your skill will diminish.
I am able to practice often and always mix in a little longer range shooting, 50, 100 or more yards. Longer range requires perfect form, minor flaws will show up.

Last edited:

CDR_Glock

I find that dry firing is as effective or important as live fire. Handling the gun, drawing it, and dry firing are critical.

Going to the range is good. But once a month is what I feel is adequate for most. If I don't shoot or do dry fire practice, I notice my skills start to decline.

I go to the range 2-3 times a week. I put some on paper or an IDPA cardboard target to check my ability to group and control, but I prefer steel for feedback. Steel also doesn't require me to refresh the targets as often as paper. I like shooting 15 yards minimum for aimed shooting. 7-10 yards for point shooting or shooting directly from concealment. I also like the challenge of regularly shooting further out, 25, 50, 75 yards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most LE agencies / depts. re-qualify every 3 months or so.

My dept. did that. But, when we did, it was get to the range, do what we had to do, and then leave.

Once in a while, when we had the funds to do so, we'd head to the range and make a day out of it. No qualifying, just some good ole range time, break for lunch, and then some more shooting.

We'd do some stress situation shooting, barricade shooting, prone, kneeling, and lying down on our sides. We'd also concentrate on weak-side shooting (non-strong hand) among other various positions.

Best thing about those days, we received OT pay. Gotta love it, when you get paid very well to go shooting. :D

BigJimP

Competent is a relative term.../ as a former competition shooter your level of competency may be much higher than a "typical plinker"...

But in general, as I have gotten older( in my upper 60's now ) ...I need to practice a little more to keep my scores up and my times down. ( eyes are not very good now, more arthritis in hands, shoulders and elbows are suffering the sins of my youth !! )...so some of it depends on your physical issues...

I don't compete in formal matches anymore...but I do still shoot a more casual course of fire with my buddies weekly. ( 100 rounds )...and I practice a little before the match ( 30 - 50 rds ) ....and one other day a week ( 3 or 4 boxes ).
If I do real poorly in our weekly matches...flub my reloads, etc...I will practice another day a week. ( practice Sunday & Tue ..shoot match on Thurs )...spread it out a little.

I train to a time standard...PAR times or max times allowed are -- draw to 1 shot 1.85 sec / follow up shots .45 sec / a speed reload ( gun at slide lock ) to one shot 2.75 sec / etc...at silhouette targets from 5 to 10 yds typically / we are focusing on Tactical accuracy ( center chest --- nipple to nipple and a rectangle down toward belly button --- ICE Qual target is a good example ).

So a typically drill might be 8 yds...draw and fire 6 rds 4.1 sec /or.. Draw and Fire - speed reload - Fire 5 in 8.2 sec. / I set up a different course of fire every week...mix in malfunctions, a buddy load ( where you put 10 rds on bench and empty gun with 3 mags - your buddy loads all 3 mags any way he wants...puts one mag in gun / other 2 mags on your belt. You draw and Fire - reload as necessary 10 rds..in under 11 sec. If I were on a mean streak ...I might put mag with 1 round in gun ( so it slide locks after 1 shot ) / an empty mag on belt in position 1 / and mag with 9 rounds in 2nd mag...( you might be shocked how many times someone will load that 2nd mag even when its empty ...)...

Mix in some Tactical Reloads.../ maybe a back to target...buzzer goes off you turn, then draw and fire.../ I also like to mix up the round count ..to something like Draw fire 2 - Reload fire 4 - reload fire 6 ..in 11.4 sec

Drop me a private note if you need more drills..or want to discuss times. But that is how I push myself a little...( I try and keep my rolling 8 week average at 95% or better ) with no week below a 92% is my goal this year. My primary gun, is my carry gun, an all stainless 5" 1911 ( Wilson Combat ) in 9mm...with 10 + 1 wilson mags - but some of my buddies shoot Glocks or other 1911's...

Last edited:

22Shooter

I use an air pistol indoors with a duct seal lined "silent" pellet trap to keep my basic shooting fundamentals from deteriorating too much between infrequent range visits.

I do have one cautionary tale with this approach. On one of those infrequent range visits (a plate range), I drew from cover and proceeded to precisely miss with every shot in my magazine. A kind bystander noted the dirt kicking up behind the plates showed every shot was missing just below bottom center of the round plates.

No, it wasn't flinching downward in anticipation of recoil. It was too much practice on a large black 10 meter air pistol target bull with sights adjusted to a 6 o'clock hold, followed by lining up 3 dot semi-auto sights set up to put the bullet into the front sight dot with the big round plate sitting on top of the front sight post. :p I recovered from the humiliation, adjusted my sight picture, and things got a lot better real quick once I realized what was going on. But this is what happens when practice and reality do not align...

Bob Wright

When I was working, I fired on the range every week, 200~300 rounds each session. Now I'm down to every other week due to economics. I still am able to maintain a fair amount of proficiency firing about 300 rounds every other week. During intervals I dry fire to maintain muscle tone.

I'm still a fair shot with the handgun, but I can tell I'm not up to my old form.

Bob Wright

C7AR15

Eye sight

When I hit 52, I needed reading glasses. Then our gun club was given the boot by local Government,

Drive to my new gun club is 1 hour. (so my weekly practice fell right off)

I ended up becoming a rifle shooter (with scope ) and have only shot handgun 3/4 times a year now.

Like the last post said " by the time you become proficient with a hand gun, your sight goes " :mad:

Thanks for the input of practice routines .and........ JD

g.willikers

How much shooting practice do you think it takes to remain competent ??
It very much depends on the amount of skill that has been acquired.
Once any skill has migrated to the subconscious it's pretty much there to stay.
But it takes a lot of doing to get it there, and most folks don't come close to the effort, time and expense it takes to accomplish.
In light of that, the amount of practice needed to stay sharp would vary with the person.
Kind of like "It all depends." :)

rtpzwms

Daily practice with a SIRT pistol for targeting use an airsoft for basic action/recoil practice and range time as often as practicable. with all of the snow lately indoor ranges are the best option can't wait for better conditions to go back outside.

T. O'Heir

"...What do the Police use..." Nothing in most places. Isn't required. Most cops never shoot their service piece except for their annual qualification shoot. Most of 'em do not shoot for recreation. And cops, up here, start at roughly 83 grand per annum. Over 93 grand after 4 years service. Even in small cities like London. So it's not about money. They're just not shooters. Most never saw a firearm of any kind prior to their training(all 3.25 months of it). Having a degree is far more important than any prior firearm experience.
Military shooting isn't regular either. The Regular Army is a civil service job(was an 8 to 4, Monday to Friday with a half day off per week for 'sports', when I was in the Queen's Service. 35 plus years ago and budgets have been cut since then.
Militia Regm't I was affiliated with went on a range week end once in 6 years. 1/3 of the weekend's participants were my Cadets too. The OIC Ex was the Regm't's Training Officer, a former RSM, Commissioned From the Ranks, who had never, in over 20 years service, ever fired a C2 LMG.) that has usually insufficient budgets for any shooting.
"...use an airsoft for basic action/recoil practice..." Airsoft are toys. There is no recoil. Proper air powered target pistols are good for sight picture, trigger control and breathing practice though.
"...suffering the sins of my youth..." Oh good. It's not just me. snicker.

g.willikers

Blowback style airgun pistols have recoil.
It's nothing like a centerfire firearm, but it is equivalent to .22 rimfire, always thought of a good way to practice.
And it's readily available right at home for more practice opportunities than most of us would get otherwise.
I'm a fan.

They might be thought of as toys, but some of them are strong enough to be dangerous, even lethal.
So be careful who you let play with them.

Last edited:

RickB

I used to shoot about 5000 rounds a year, for fifteen years.
For the last five years, it's been more like 1000 rounds a year, and I am nowhere near as proficient.
99% of my shooting is competition, practical pistol and in the past, 3-gun.
I think doing some frequent dry-fire, so that there's not a long break between gunhandling sessions, can make a big difference.
Even if it's just once a week, spend a half-hour of diligently practicing draws, transitions, reloads, etc.

Boncrayon

"Competent" is in the practiced hands of the shooter. Practice makes "better", not perfect. You need to practice often...once a week; twice a week; once a month...or so to keep your grip, aim, trigger pull and breathing in your muscle skills. Remember your best groupings, and continue those skills.

Bob Wright

As to my military experience, we qualified once a year with the M-1 rifle, firing on Known Distance (KD) ranges at bullseye targets, at ranges of 100, 200, 300, and 500 yards. Positions were standing, kneeling, sitting, and prone.

Additionally we fired on assault ranges, firing on pop-up man-size targets at varying distances, while walking forward as skirmishers. Another live fire exercise was to fire at distant targets from a fixed position at ranges out to 500 yards. And as a final exercise, we fired at a target the size of a Jeep at 1,000 yards.

There was one course where the targets were buff colored and some were green colored. The buff targets were "enemy" and gained points, while the green were "friendly" and detracted from score if hit.

Bob Wright