Stating the obvious for some. I'm a believer M&P

Waterengineer

First, let me say that, yes, I am a little behind the curve with this post since the M&P has been in the market for a while.

Second, I'm a shotgunner, not a handgunner - so I will use that for an excuse.

I took my GF and her 14 Y.O. daughter to the range for their first time today.

The point was for an introduction to guns, gun safety and of course fun.

I took a Ruger single six and a Ruger G100 in .357

I went through the usual safety points, stance, loading, aiming etc.

I set the targets at 10 yards and told them to have at it.

They started with the Single Six and were having fun. After say a hundred rounds, I asked if they were ready for the next thing. So I loaded the .357 with 38 cal wadcutters.

They were not prepared for the kick - it got their attention.

They had to shoot in single action because they couldn't double action fire - not strong enough trigger finger.

Anyway, they settled in and got use to the 38's. My GF actuall shot it very well. I chalk it up to the guns weight.

I was packing up and the daughter was acting bummed. I discovered she was disappointed we were shooting revolvers. She said she wanted to shoot a "cop gun." After a little talk I figured out she wanted to shoot a pistol so I rented a M&P .40.

I wanted to try one in .40 and had never handled a M&P. Man, that gun is SWEET!
I really liked the way it handled, sighting was natural with the night sights. Bottomline I have to have one.

My only complaint is loading the clip was a royal pain. Did I have a clip with an outrageously strong spring or are they all like that?

Oh, ya, back to the ladies. They didn't like the .40 at all, but, boy, I did.

And, the world has two new lady gunners. They both asked when we could go again.

Last edited:

Russ5924

Those double stack Magazines can be pretty tough if you load a full mag. I only put 10 in while at the range. I have the M&P 9 compact and trying to get number 12 in can be a B----. I love my M&P and for a compact has very little recoil:)

Quentin2

Yes, great story. I'm glad they both enjoyed shooting. Maybe next time you'll have to rent a 9mm for them to try. And even a 22LR so they put in more trigger time.

I got a mag loader for my Hi-Power and it also works on my Taurus MilPro and a Ruger P89. Probably would work for many others and is a very handy gadget to have especially with stiff new springs.

pacerdude

I LOVE my M&P 40. Getting the 15th round in the clip takes a little more force, but that is the only one that gives me any trouble. Glad you like the gun too.

ritepath

like R59 I only load 10 in my M&Ps mag at the range....glad you liked the 40 I'm thinking I may get a 40c next to match my 9c.

Greg_TX

I'm very happy with mine (full size .40). It's not just you - the mags are a PITA to load full; I'm now getting into the habit of loading 10 instead of 15 at the range. I have two mags that stay at home, loaded full with Federal HST's for defense, and two that I take to the range. In a defensive situation you want all the shots ya got, but at the range it doesn't matter.