States where you can own a silencer/suppressor

RAnb

Firearms Silencer Laws;

A person has to obtain ATF authorization to buy or make a silencer. There is no federal law that says a person has to obtain it from a licensed dealer unless it is crossing state lines. I can buy one from a person in my own state without going through a dealer. I only need to be 18 and older to buy one from an unlicensed person or make one.

An alien legally living in the USA can also buy or make a silencer with ATF authorization.

It also says two 5330.20 and a finger print card are needed when it is actually one form 5330.20 and two finger print cards.

Where it claims that a silencer may not be altered is also wrong. As a maker on an ATF form 1, I can make repairs that do not involve replacing parts (except for wipes), changing the bore or making the tube longer.

The list of legal states is missing Michigan and Kansas as there are 38 states that allow civilian silencer ownership without a license.

How to Get a Silencer for Your Handgun;

Silencers are actually easy to obtain for most people that live in the 38 states that allow them. The ATF is not allowed to deny approval as long as the forms are filled out correctly. The main obstacle for most people who have problems is obtaining the CLEO signature, but this can be avoided by using a trust or Corporation to own it for them.

There are no permits required. The ATF form 1, 4 or 5 is only proof that the tax was paid (or that it is exempt) and that the silencer is registered. They can also be transferred tax free in some cases.

I have never provided my SSN to the ATF to make or possess a silencer.

The tax for a silencer is always $200 or $0 depending on the situation. There is no other tax or fee charged by the federal government.

How to Make a Silencer for a .380 among others.
The link on how to make a 380 silencer is just plain stupid.

Ranb

Last edited:

Armybrat

Return to the dealer after the federal government completes your background check, and pick up your suppressor. Expect to wait up to four months for the background check to be completed in most cases.

4 months even with a CHL?

RAnb

As far as I know, a form could be approved in a day or two after the check clears, but I think the forms go to a stack waiting to be opened, then waiting for the check to clear, then waiting for review, then waiting for approval.

Ranb