State Legislator Fires First Shot of the Session

KyJim

Yep, we are gun friendly here in Kentucky. Just a few days after the legislature began a new session, a state legislator's handgun "accidentally" discharged today in her office in the state capitol annex. Rep. Leslie Combs was with another state legislator at the time. Both are Democrats. Thus, Rep. Combs is helping destroy two myths about gun owners -- they're all male and they're all Republican. As the story says, "There was no immediate word on what caused the gun to discharge." http://www.wave3.com/story/24395916/lawmakers-gun-discharges-at-capitol-annex-in-frankfort. Maybe she was showing off her Christmas present?

2ndsojourn

As the story says, "There was no immediate word on what caused the gun to discharge."

My money is on someone's finger was on the trigger.

Well, we've had this lady, Lori Klein, and this guy all showing irresponsible behavior with firearms.

If our elected officials can't be trusted with guns, how can we ever trust the general populace with them?

Jim, you'd be amazed how often I've heard that sentiment over the years.

Strangely enough, in over three decades of handling firearms, it has yet to happen to me. Go figure.

Mike38

“I’m a gun owner. It happens,” she said Wednesday,…

Well I’m a gun owner, and have been for 40 years. (I'm 54 years old) It’s never happened to me.

(knock on wood)

DaleA

Ouch!

Well, that hurts the cause.

(I'm kind of jealous Kentucky has a female Democratic gun owner. But after what she did, maybe not so much.)

Rattlehead

"She was emptying the weapon and she thought that it was empty and pointed it away and down and pulled the trigger and it went off," said Rep. Jeff Greer, D-Brandenburg. "Thankfully, no one was hurt.

source: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/ar...es-gun-in-office-calls-it-mistake-5125068.php

At least she had the integrity to own up to the mistake rather than play the "gosh, I don't know how it discharged on its own" card. Her lack of judgment in the initial act, however, still remains.

sgms

:pSo when will her CCW be pulled, isn't discharging a firearm in a federal building a felony?

WyMark

So when will her CCW be pulled, isn't discharging a firearm in a federal building a felony?

Lots of people in Kentucky will be shocked to learn that their Statehouse is a federal building, I'm guessing.

ClydeFrog

Related story....

A few years ago, I heard there was a media item/dispute over a 1700s era rifle on display in the hall of the MA State assembly. The elected officials there were considering passing a new state law that required all firearms to have a safety lock on them when not in use. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how those political leaders dealt with that incident.

Clyde

gc70

At least she knew enough to point the gun in a safe direction before pulling the trigger of an "unloaded" gun.

armsmaster270

why was she unloading it anyway, if she was leaving alone in her office she should have a safe to put it into negating the need to unload it.

Glenn E. Meyer

The LCP - well, luckily the coyotes don't vote as Gov. Perry used his to defend his puppy. They were even selling autographed versions for a bit in TX.

The raspberry LCP is a pretty color.

Ok - don't forget the power of the brain passing of gas. I have seen very top of the line gun trainers and competitors make similar mistakes. I saw one draw a loaded Glock on a crowd of folks to demonstrate a question about draw stroke.

A look of absolute horror crossed his face. Another rotated incorrectly negotiating carrying a hostage dummy in a scenario and swept others. He holstered and asked for DQ. A beloved expert left a gun with rounds in a safe area that led to another making an ND. Another shot his car with his Kahr.

It can happen to anyone with a mental lapse.