Starting to see the SA light for Bullseye

spacecoast

I've been shooting Bullseye with iron sighted revolvers for almost 4 years now, and have gradually worked my way up to high Sharpshooter (~800) scores using double action shooting for the timed and rapid fire segments of the matches.

Today I decided to shake things up a little and used single action for the timed fire rounds of the match (shooting my .22LR S&W 17-5). The sense I got during the first Timed Fire round was that my shots were not very well on target, but when we went down to score I was pleased to see a relatively decent 93, about what I normally shoot using DA. I decided to hang with SA for the remaining Timed Fire rounds and managed another 93 and then a 94. So I definitely see the potential of SA. My total for the match was 812, a point better than my previous best, so that was also gratifying. Another highlight of the match was my 18 Xs, most ever in a match. On the next to last Rapid Fire round I scored a 94 with 6 Xs, my most Xs ever in a single round.

Whether or not I will get fast enough to use SA for Rapid Fire remains to be seen, but I will continue to practice and hopefully be able to at least push those Timed Fire scores consistently to 95 and above.

Last edited:

spacecoast

Thanks, once the weather cools a bit we will be running another series of classification matches, and I hope to be able to improve to Expert. Every point matters when you're right on the brink of the next class and maybe the SA Timed Fire can help me get there.

LRRiflemanSNJ

Back when I was shooting bullseye pistol, I was using a K22 and a K38 along with my 1911. I would only shoot the revolvers SA, because I had a better handle on movement and sight alignment.

The tricks to shooting the K Masterpieces is that you insure the revolvers are equipped with target stocks and both the wider target triggers and target hammers. Also, strive to shoot the timed fire stage at the same cadence as rapid fire. You will find that after a month or so of practice like this, you will come close to cleaning the timed and rapid fire stages.

As a hint, if you look hard enough, you may find a SA kit that S&W use to catalog for the K38s. That way, by taking away DA capability, your SA scores are forced to improve. To the best of my knowledge, the SA only kit was never offered for the rimfires or K32.

Ed