Starting the warm weather switchover.

KyJim

We've had a few warm days (70) recently and this has prompted me to start the switchover to my warm weather guns. Up for the season are a SW Model 19 (K frame) snubby and a 3 inch Springfield Mil-Spec 1911. I've brought out my SW 638 (J frame snubby). I'll probably do some more switching as the weather gets warmer. Anybody else started switching?

CortJestir

Yep, I just brought my P239 to the range today to get to know it again for the summer...but I'm using the new warmer weather as an excuse to find another "summer gun". However, I have a feeling this "summer gun" will be a full-size hi-cap auto. :D

curt.45

yeah I put my carharts away and got out my wind breaker.

I know I'm the wind breaker, but I wear one too!

doh_312

I'm thinking it may be a little difficult to keep the 5" XD45 hidden in summer clothing. Whipped out the IWB 637. Just wish I could find a way to hide the larger pistol in shorts and a T shirt.

Swampghost

Just really curious. Y'all change weapons with the WEATHER? I'm an idiot when it comes to up north and hope to remain that way. Do confrontations and crime get worse when it gets cold? In my mind I think that it would be less as most BG's are lazy.

I stick with the same ones year 'round.

chris in va

Oh yeah. Sig 220 in CompTac paddle holster to P11 or J-frame.

For those that don't understand...it's a little hard to conceal a full size 45 when all you can wear is a flimsy t-shirt etc. I could certainly open carry but that comes with having to be noticed all the time. I don't feel like being a male version of Britney Spears.

My Kahr K9 is on layaway. Finances keep pushing the date back every week.

hoytinak

Just really curious. Y'all change weapons with the WEATHER? I'm an idiot when it comes to up north and hope to remain that way. Do confrontations and crime get worse when it gets cold? In my mind I think that it would be less as most BG's are lazy.

But it's alot easier to conceal a bigger firearm in the winter with jackets on and what not. I tend to stick to my P2000SK year round but sometimes it's just easier to toss the LCP in the pocket of the shorts.

AK103K

I carried a Commander for close to 25 years under a light, flimsy shirt in the summer months with no troubles, switched to a P220, then a P226, and settled on a P229, and have worn it ever since. Summers in SE PA are often as humid and warm as they are in the southern states. I'm not a fan of wearing my gun against my skin, but I've done it, and a full size pistol will easily disappear under an untucked tee shirt of the proper size.

Moe Howard

I will still carry the Colt Commander some during the summer, but I will switch to my SW99OL for those super sweaty all day carrying kind of days.

AZAK

Well, since it was 3 degrees F today, and never got much warmer, I am still doing the same that I normally do; same thing that I do basically year round. Probably go out snowgoing (snowmobiling for your lower 49ers) tomorrow from my front door; you get the picture.

Summertime usually still means sweatshirt weather, so polar opposite of Florida or Texas up here; pun intended! And really no need to change carry gun or options.

There may be a hand full of days when the sweatshirt is not needed, then unless I am headed into town I still don't think about any different options; have a few, just don't need them very often.

Jeff King just went from 3rd place to 18th place in the Iditarod in the last day or so. Why? Because he hunkered down, along with a few others, to avoid the -50 F with the 35 mph winds. As the saying goes, "Been there, done that." (Not the Iditarod, but the weather in the Interior, and for lack of a better way to put it, It makes one either religious, or very humble, or both really fast!)

Shadi Khalil

Summers in SE PA are often as humid and warm as they are in the southern states.

Here in N.VA we get the same disgustingly humid days as you all in PA...

Me and my 239 froze it out this winter and we'll sweat it out this summer, just like we did last year.

The Great Mahoo

I carry my Glock 36 year-round. I'd like to get a pocket gun of some sort, but don't expect I will for a few months. Gotta let the finances catch up after going crazy on spending the last few months.

curt.45

it helps that I'm 6-2 and 260lbs

or that I just don't worry that darn much about it because most people just aren't that observant.

KyJim

When I work, I have to wear shirts that tuck. That means either pocket carry or a tuckable holster, neither of which are real good with sizeable guns. When it gets hot, it's shorts with elastic waistbands and drawstrings. Again, not conducive for carrying a larger gun.

In addition, winter clothing is heavier and more penetration may be needed.

Powdersmoke

Warm weather switchover

My warm weather switchover, which is still months away here in MN :mad: is mostly just swapping my jackets for vests. I have several that started out as shirts then I had a local seamstress, who does very nice work, remove the sleeves and hem them. They're lighter and more comfy than dedicated concealment vests and worn over a nice t shirt they're ok for anything but formal wear. I also use dedicated concealment vests but not when I'm just going to and from work etc.
My holsters have all been chosen for their ability to hold the gun close to the body so gun selection won't change much. For situations where the concealing garment doesn't leave enough of a margin between the end of the holster or the barrel of the gun and the hemline I use an IWB holster like the Bianchi #3 Pistol Pocket or my Ted Blocker DA3. The DA3 is comfortable and secure holding the gun firmly but not hindering the draw and absolutely doesn't shift on the belt. It keeps even a big gun like my Sig P220SS from printing or showing a bulge under just a light shirt. If an IWB is something you use I can't think of a better one than the Ted Blocker DA3