starter shotgun...

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
For small kids, one of the NEFs will NOT do well unless it's a 28 gauge. These single shots are very light and will tear a new one in 12 gauge or even 20.

While 410s are often touted for kids, it's too hard to hit anything well with the miniscule 1/2 oz load.

For kids over 100 lbs or so, one of the best shotguns made in the 1100 LW 20 gauge made by Remington. It's gas action cuts kick, it has a decent trigger and is not so heavy the kid cannot swing it.

HTH....

Nortonics

I'll second the Remington 1100 Express 20 Ga. Appears that Remington doesn't make this model for 2005 though?

Bought this one for my son when he was 11 - 13 now... Has a full 1" shorter LOP (Length Of Pull) which is so important for the younger/smaller shooter.

A close second might be Remington's pump version that is very similar, and a little less expensive - The Model 870 Express Youth Gun:

Model 870 Express Youth Gun

870expyouth.jpg

Or maybe the Model 870 Express Youth Synthetic Combo:

Model 870 Express Youth Synthetic Combo

870expyth_syncmb.jpg

K80Geoff

The 1100 youth 20 is the choice.

Ask around the local Trap/ Skeet club if anyone is selling one. Quite often you will find them for sale when Johnny grows up and wants a Perazzi :D

Nortonics

Just one more thing to mention about the Remington Youth 1100's that I found. If you find a nice used one for a decent used price, snap it up! When I was looking for my son, I spent two to three months looking. and I considered the older style with wood as well as the newer synthetic styles. I scoured the gun auctions and looked all over the Minneapolis Metro area gun shops. What I found was: 1) Yes, there were a few available used, but not many, and 2) The used ones cost just about as much as a new one - wasn't enough spread in prices to tempt fate in getting a used one over a new one. It's a good testament to the value. I ended up buying brand new locally from these guys right here:

Frontiersman Firearms

Russ5924

I have one and put on a regular stock and forearm.Very nice little gun to carry all day for any kind of hunting except duck. But the darn thing will NOT shoot low brass shells won't eject them.I replaced the o-rings no luck called Remington they told me to drill out the ports in the barrel,but never did just stayed with the high brass.Well at least I won't have any problem getting rid of it by the sound of it.I thought they were quite a few around.But why would they sell a youth gun that won't shoot low brass??????????/ :confused:

At the hunter saftly corse a few years ago a kid was fireing a 20 gauge NEF and he had no problem he was 10 years old. If younger i would say 28.

HunterTRW

"Tap" Tapply of Field & Stream fame advocated teaching a child to shoot using a single-shot 20-gauge shotgun featuring a thumb-safety. In fact, when he presented his own son, Bill, with his first gun it was a Savage Model 220 (no longer made, but availble on the used-gun market) which met all of these requirements.

Why a single-shot shotgun? Because he wanted Bill to learn from the start to make his shot count in each shooting situation.

Why a single-shot shotgun? Because once the gun was fired it was safe (important to Tap because initially Bill didn't always remember to break his gun after he fired it).

Why a thumb-safety? Because the double-guns Bill would later shoot (including a Parker which he inherited from the late author, Burton Spiller) would have them, so its use became a matter of good habit.

Why a 20-gauge? Because it provided the power needed to cleanly kill a grouse, pheasant, or woodcock, and its recoil would not discourage a young boy.

Tap's approach made lot of sense then, and I advocate it today.

Good luck, and good shooting!

Last edited:

dakotashooter2

Winchester also makes a pump action youth gun. The advantage the win has over the rem is that the reach to the forend is a little bit shorter. That translates to better balance and leverage for kids with shorter arms. With my son this meant the arm was slightly bent rather than fully extended when the action was closed. I think the gunmakers forget about that when they make a youth gun. Sure it is easier to reach the trigger when they cut the stock but the kids still have to stretch to reach the forearm. The down side is the action is a bit stiffer than others..

Lycanthrope

20 ga 1100 Youth model if you can afford it.

20 ga 870 Youth model can be had for $250 at my local Wal Mart. Short stock, screw in chokes and will handle 3" shells. All in all, you could use it well into adulthood and would also make a great gun for a petite woman or a home defense gun in the future.

Shell

Pertaining to recoil and reach...

So not to sound entirely stupid or anything, but when I got my rabbit, I shot from the hip with a pump-action, so I did not notice recoil or reach....the shotgun was one of my cousins...When I shoot my 30-06, the first two shots are accurate, then I start to fade... :( in comparison to kick, with the 20 gauge vs. 30-06 what am I looking at? My kids will be my size or better when they are 10.

Lokmdwn

You didn't mention how old your child is. I recommend a 20 guage single barrel. I started with a H&R youth model, 20 gauge at the age of 8 and a LW 1100, 20 gauge at age 11. Back then we did a lot of wing shooting (dove and quail). Most kids, (and I was no exception) tend to get in a hurry and shoot too quick, My dad always made me bring both guns on a dove hunt and after I demonstrated my "spray and pray" method in which I emptied my gun of shells and hit absolutely nothing I had to put the 1100 up and get out the H&R. When you know you only have 1 shot you tend to aim a little better and make it a good one. It's better to start out with good habits than bad ones.
Don't start him out on a .410, there's not much room for error and he will get discouraged, especially if you do any wing shooting.

Shell

youngsters..

Right now my oldest is 6 and my youngest will be four in May. I'm working on getting them used to being around guns, trying to sort everything out.
We have rabbits,wild turkeys, and deer that antagonize my aunt, so they'll be doing that in time. I'm not too sure about target practice with a shotgun, but I'd likely start there. I'd like something they can learn on and grow with. Me too, I have a 12 ga Huglu, but my uncle told me this week it would knock me on my U-Know. I was raised shooting 22lr, mini-14, .357, .38 special, so the shotgun thing is new to me.
My cousin mentioned the H&R, and we discussed some of the other things you guys have mentioned. I appreciate the input. Shell

arcticap

.410 is fine for small game

I do recommend a .410 single shot or Remington youth pump because of it's vent rib. It's certainly easier for a child to hit something with it than with a .22 like for squirrel hunting. No one would recommend not starting a child with a .22 because the child will get discouraged by not hitting anything. I see lots of youngsters of all ages shoot at turkey shoots and borrow club guns. The great majority of them choose the 410, and want to go back to it even after subsequently trying out a 20 ga. In my opinion, they want a pleasurable shooting experience without having to flinch or have their shoulder thumped. Also, the 3 inch shells are fairly potent.

Clemson

There are two factors in a kids' shotgun:

1. Recoil. A light 20 gauge will kick more than a standard 12. A 20 gauge single shot will rattle anyone's teeth. If you are using a 20 gauge single shot for kids, either buy a "Chambermate" and start the kid with 2 1/2" .410 shells in it, or handload reduced loads. I took the latter route when I started my son shooting. It is possible to load a 20 to approximately 28 guage power with 3/4 oz of shot at 1150 fps or so. I would take this same route if I were starting the kid on a pump. There is no reason at all to make him/her recoil-sensitive. I personally like the Youth Model 1100 for kids. Once I got one of those, my son really began to like shooting. My wife appropriated that gun from the boy once he outgrew it, and she still shoots it.

2. Weight. A small kid just cannot heft a big gun. It is neither comfortable nor safe. Although it is true that a 12 kicks no more than a 20, it is because the average 12 gauge gun is 2 pounds heavier than the 20. Again, the 20 gauge single shot with a chambermate might be the ideal choice. My petite wife can't hold up and swing a large gun, but she can handle the Youth Model 1100 fairly well. You will just have to match the choice of gun to the size of the shooter. I cannot conceive of a 6 year-old who could swing a semi-auto effectively.

Good luck!

Clemson

Shell

I've been checking out the different options you guys have mentioned, I'm curious why nothing about 16 ga has been mentioned. I found a 20 ga. I can't recall the maker at the moment, but it had a plug to "basically render it a single shot", I think it was H&R or Remington. It's the only one I saw with this feature. Is there something like this available that would be interchangable with other makers. Also, where do you get the "chambermate" and what is it? Thanks. Shell

Clemson

16 gauge guns are heavier than 20's. In the same weight gun, they kick harder. A 28 gauge gun might be going in the right direction.

Chambermates are a product of Seminole. http://www.chambermates.com/ They are a subgauge insert that goes into a larger bore.

They are fairly expensive, but there may be others out there that are more reasonable, or you may be able to find a used insert.

It would be simple to make a plug for a Remington or Beretta to effectively take the magazine out of service and turn the gun into a single shot. I would just cut one from a piece of dowell the length of 4 shells and slip it into the magazine spring. That is the way the plug that limits capacity to three shots works -- you are just making a longer plug.

Good luck!

Clemson

Shell

Thanks for the info and link...
Next option I've been curious about is recoil pads. I've seen them mentioned around here off and on. Do they add length to the gun? And is this something to look at for a 20 or 28 gauge? Checked the chambermates out. They are costly :eek: Question though, if I got the chambermate that went to the 12ga to a 28 ga, what would we be looking at in kick?

Last edited: