Started Another One!

srtrax

win30.300072-1.jpg

As if a Ruger #1 isn't enough, i have to go and get started on a Winchester 94...30/30. Pictured above is a blank that is fully inletted to reciever and now on to the shaping of the rest of it... Pleased so far!

srtrax

Abndoc: I plan to keep a photo track of this one. I have not done that in the past, so will try on this one!

Fish: No vacation, just work! The weather has turned for the better here, and being out in the shop is a joy this time of year. Got some machines hooked up and going, need to finish that up before the snow starts flying. Hard to do when a project is setting in the vise screaming "over here"! :D I've peeked in a few times and have not heard a field range report on how the 7x57 Ruger #1 is shooting, so what gives?

Will try and get some pictures on a steel buttplate i got from Treebone Carving. It will have to be shaped a little smaller to fit right for the 30/30. He also has a cresent plate made mostly for the win. and i also thought about a pacymeyer red pad. :confused: Anyway i'll get picture up latter for some feedback from you all.

Guessing you are incredibly tallented... that wood is amaizing... I'd love to start a project like that, but just beginning to work a little wood... I think a regular old 2 X 4 is more up my alley, it would break my heart to see a piece of wood like that wrecked by a hack like me ... ( In reality, I'm starting with pistol grips 1st...;) maybe I can handle that ) good luck with your project, & please show more pics as you progress...

fisherman66

I've peeked in a few times and have not heard a field range report on how the 7x57 Ruger #1 is shooting, so what gives?

Not shooting dove has taken precedence over not shooting the rifle. At least I'm consistent. The job switch has been a little hectic along with a pukey kiddo with the everlasting teething flu. I will share the results as soon as they materialize. Still saving for the scope too.

srtrax

Yes, its Turkish Black walnut with lots of burl and black minerial streaking. It looks as if the brown coloring will have a tea to honey color when finished, i was told it should be set up on a through bolt type rifle, but after sawing it i found some good straight grain in the wrist so it works for this project.
Wont be putting the buttplate on because i'd have to trim to much of it away for what i want. http://www.treebonecarving.com/id11.html May end up with the cresent buttplate or even a recoil pad? Thank you for the kind words and i'll do my best to keep everyone informed.