Starline Brass

Marco Califo

I ordered Starline Brass in 5.56 and 45 ACP +P on Sunday. Online they show as Back Ordered. I expected to have to wait, possibly for 2 different shipments. But instead they shipped the order complete today. I could not find any email notification they offered.

lugerstew

I think Starline is some quality brass, I loaded 4 different kinds of 44Mag. brass today, and in my RCBS single stage press, the Starline was the most consistent. I will probably give them more of my business.

FoghornLeghorn

I ordered 1,000 45 ACP cases and 1,000 9mm cases ~11/1. UPS emailed me that the shipment was on the way. They delivered it today, 11/11. But only the 45 ACP.

Starline also only charged me for the 45 ACP.

totaldla

I ordered Starline Brass in 5.56 and 45 ACP +P on Sunday. Online they show as Back Ordered. I expected to have to wait, possibly for 2 different shipments. But instead they shipped the order complete today. I could not find any email notification they offered.
They did that to me as well. I didn't expect the 5.56 brass anytime soon since it was backordered and then without warning it was at my doorstep.

Marco Califo

I have not loaded (nor received) the 5.56, but according to Starline it has different metalurgy to be harder in the head. In another thread this was discussed as possibly the best 5.56 brass if LC was not available, possibly even it it was.
5.56 was on Backorder a very long time with no date estimate. Well, they are making them now, and filling orders.
The 45 +P is thicker where the chamber support my be limited. It holds less volume, by two grains of water, so is not interchangeable with regular 45 ACP.

std7mag

I got some of the Starline 5.56 just as the shortage was starting.
Using it in my wife's Savage 110FP for shooting some matches.

Quality is good overall.
I full length sized, trimmed, uniformed & deburred the flash holes.
All the cases needed slight trim after sizing.
Not much removed while deburring the flash holes. Definitely less than when i did the same with some LC brass.

Marco Califo

I have case gages for my calibers. When I receive new brass, when I unpack it, I fit in the gage, and all Stsrline drops into the gage. I consider it "good to go" and place in ammo boxes for loading. I do this rather than resizing, which I consider unnecessary when the brass checks out. I am not a competition shooter. Why do you size it if it is in spec?

rclark

Why do you size it if it is in spec?
That's easy... My resize tool is my gage. When it has been resized, I know it will be consistent. Doesn't take that long to run them through either. Talking revolver brass here... I'd assume you'd want to do the same for rifle. I would if I was a rifle shooter. Not a competitive bulls eye shooter either...

Marco Califo

I do that for pistol and rifle. In the case of rifle, bottleneck brass, I think you would be overworking the neck and shoulder by resizing when not needed. But I have been wrong before . . . Once.

Last edited:

lugerstew

If brand new brass fits well in my cartridge gauge, I don't resize it, I will load and shoot it. I can't set the neck back a few thousands from my chamber anyway when they resize these at the factory usually to Sammi specs.

cdoc42

I tried to prime NEW Starline .44 mag cases today in my Lee Loadmaster and I had to "clean" all the primer pockets with my RCBS machine they would seat without difficulty.

std7mag

I full length size ALL new cases. Rifle & pistol.
For pistol my case gage is my barrel. I do a plunk test.
Depending on case gage, it could fit in the gage, but not the barrel.
Do a search on this & other forums and see how many people have had issues with this.
Be prepared, it's quite extensive.

Rifle brass i full length size, trim, uniform & deburr flash holes.
Whether for our hunting rifles, or match rifle.
After first firing i collet size the neck only.

jetinteriorguy

I full length size with a body die only. Then neck size with a Lee collet neck die. Then I trim to length, then deburr the flash hole, then I turn the necks and last I clean off the sizing lube in my tumbler. As far as excess work hardening of the brass, I anneal every four reloads and have gotten upwards of 20+ cycles.

Marco Califo

Turns out, they shipped my 45 ACP+P, but not the 5.56. They original credit card hold was for the full amount, but only the 45 portion was booked.

Marco Califo

Now, a week later, I got a UPS notification that the rest of my order, the 5.56x45, will be arriving in time for Thanksgiving. I conclude that Starline, just as they say they are, are filling orders "first come - first serve". When you place an order, they strive to fill it. Waiting for them to be in stock does not get your order in line. This 8 day wait for the rest of my order is not bad at all.