Star BM

Dakotan

Trusted my life to one for quite a few years. I was lucky enough to get a "Factory Reconditioned" BM in 1990. It was a Spanish police trade in. That little gun has actually made me wonder if Star had a Custom Shop back then! :D The trigger is perfect (light, no creep, clean break at 3 pounds), the slide to frame fit is on par with some custom match guns I've fired, and it's jammed ONCE since I've owned it, and that was right out of the box on the first magazine. It's proven completely reliable ever since, and although it's now retired from everyday carry, it's probably the second most accurate 9mm I own, second only to my Hi-Powers.

I can't speak firsthand as to the BMs that are being imported now, but the gun as a whole is a pretty decent piece, and mine has always been a champ.

FWIW! ;) - Dakotan

Tom2

Safety lever

I had one that I just recently traded in when I was getting a Sig. Too many 9MM's. Seemed to be very well made. Was a recent ex police import. Was in about 98% condition, but alot I see have a lot more wear. Be choosy. Trigger pull was like a Colt after a good trigger job, as the other post stated. Case colored trigger and hammer looked real nice. Was fully reliable even with the aftermarket mags I added. Not super small group shooter. Shot a little high. But was little loose like a 45 stock auto, so expected no target groups. Only thing was the safety lever was much too light to push down into the fire position. Someone posted that you had to increase the detent in the lever and that fixes it. Well made for the money- they are pretty cheap right now.

p99guy

The South African Army issued them...and their equivelent of Sgt.York used a Star BM to save his Panhard armored car from being over ran...popped out of the top hatch and killed 8 insergents that was trying to climb on the crippled Panhard with his BM...the rest rethought the endevor and ran. Each of his shots killed a man.
Sounded like Brass balls and a decent pistol to me :)

Everything said about the triggers is true. Mine is an ex-police import with about 85% finish, inside it is like a "custom shop" job. It's not a target gun, but then it's not designed to be one. What it is, is a whole lot of solid steel pistola and a great price. Buy one -- or two. :)