Star B 9mm??? Are those good semiautos???

Saw one in a pawn shop today, thought it was a 1911, but the shop owner said its' a STAR B 9mm. It looks nice and slim though, with all the charm of a 1911. Are they good pistols?

The one I saw has some sort of faint markings, the owner say the guy put it on consignment said it's from WWII. The price was $220. Worth picking it up??? Thanks for any info regarding the STAR B origin, etc.

theberettaman

Plain jane they like FMJ's.If you want it as a carry weapon some smithing will be needed to reliably feed the JHP.I agree with bullbarrel,get one cheeper and have some work done on it.You'll have about the same money in it afterwards.

monkeywithfire

do not dry fire

The firing pin is quite brittle. You can get replacements of course but i don't know offhand if the replacements are any better. We had one in the family for a long time but alas it was stolen.

-monkey

BLiTzNicK

If it's $160 from SN, what is shipping, $20? That takes the total to $180, and any dealer around here will charge $25 for the transfer. Your looking at $205, a savings of $15. At least you can see the condition of the one in the pawn shop. For $15 I'd support the local economy.

If however shipping and transfer is low, you'd be better off to get it from SN.

Walt Sherrill

I've owned them and shot them. They're OK, but nothing more.

For the money, you'll be much more pleased with a used Ruger or S&W or EAA Witness - even if you have to spend $25-$50 more.

Some of them are reasonably accurate. All of them are OLD, parts can be a problem, and the are generally limited to 8-round mags. You an get them worked on, but there's not much you can do to improve them.

Having been there and done that, I'd say look elsewhere.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I do like the older Star pistols, but have to agree that parts are becoming harder to find each year. Dry-firing's out with any of the Star pistols pre-dating the Firestar series. This is because the notched firing pin's retained by a vertical pin in the slide that's covered by the rear sight. The firing pins will break, usually sooner rather than later, if you dry-fire very much at all.
The last new batch of Model B's that I'm aware of were offered as an overrun through Interarms before it and Star both folded.
This was in the mid-80s, I think.

You can usually get the gun to run with JHPs if you pick rounded ogive JHPs and I wouldn't shoot anything but standard pressure rounds in these pistols as they're a tad "soft." Mine works great with Federal 124 gr Nyclad HPs, Remington 115 gr JHPs, and Federal 115 gr JHPs, all standard pressure.

The B does come with a magazine disconnect, but it does not affect trigger pull as do the ones in the Browning Hi Powers. It is also extremely easy to remove should you so desire.

My experience with Model B pistols has been a bit more positive in terms of how they group, but they do not group as well as most higher-priced service type pistols. Expect no better than 3 and likely 4 in. groups at 25 yards. The sights may or may not be "on." I had one Model B that was dead bang "on," but the last one was way high at 25 yards.

Best.