Star 1911?

shoop66

Has anybody heard about this thing or used it? There's 3 at the gunshop for $250-$300 each. I found out that they were Spanish police & military sidearms, and then they were imported here when they were replaced. Star is out of business, and parts are hard to find. I'm not sure what to do. Two 9mm's, one .45. I've heard a few people say they love them, and $250 is a great 1911 price. The parts weren't like the ones on a normal 1911, Some were unique parts. Should I take the risk? I won't be able to make this kind of money fast again, I don't have a job yet.

Jim Watson

A Spanish Star is not a 1911, even if it looks sort of like one to the inexperienced. ALL the parts are unique. They are decent guns as Spanish surplus goes.

drail

If they are truly from a military or police arsenal run away. You would not believe how they store and treat their weapons.

Magyar

$250 is a great 1911 price.
For that price, and you've looked it over: I'd buy it, the .45 that is....I've re-sold two of my Star pistols at Gun Shows, Largo at that, and always got back what I paid for it. Heck, it's only money....:)

hivel37

Some of the Star 9mm's are in 9mm Largo instead of Para, which can be a real problem if you don't handload.

Don't overpay and just plan on using it til it breaks. Then it'll be a parts gun.

David the Gnome

I've got the Star Model B chambered in 9mm Parabellum. As others have said, it's not a true 1911, it only looks like one. Mine has been a blast to shoot and 9mm rounds are a real puppy in a gun that heavy. I wouldn't carry it or trust my life to it but it has been an amazing range toy. I've used it numerous times to teach some of the females in my life how to shoot a handgun. Because recoil is so mild and the controls are so simple they have a much easier time learning on it. I've thought of picking up another one sometime, the only downside is that parts are hard to get. There is a guy who sells parts and magazines for them, I have forgotten which website I found him on though.

Superhouse 15

Nope

I'd pass. Save the money for a low-end 1911. You're only a broken firing pin or extractor away from a paperweight that you can't get spare parts for, and like was said, they look close, but they aren't 1911 compatible. Not sure what the model was, (maybe the PD?) but I've seen several of the lightweight .45s with cracks in the frame around the slide stop.

Bill DeShivs

Small parts for the Stars (or almost any gun) are easily made by a competent gunsmith. Star parts are available from a former Star employee. PM me for details.
The PD had an issue with the frame developing a small crack in a non-essential area.