Standard pressure 115g 9mm

dayman

I have started carrying standard pressure Hornady Critical Defense 115g as my defense load.
It seems like people are always arguing about 115 +P (or +P+) or SP 147g, but not a lot of mention is given the standard pressure 115g.
The reason I switched is that I use 115g practice loads, and the HCD's have virtually the same POI. Obviously they move slower than +P's, but I assume the bullet is designed to expand properly at the lower speed.
I was carrying 147g standard pressure until recently, but I don't want to have to try to remember the new POI should I ever need to actually defend myself. I don't like shooting +P.
Is there enough of a difference that I should start buying ammo online (where I could get 147g practice loads)? It would mean less of my money would stay local, but I can probably live with that if there's a big difference.
Or, am I over thinking things and forget about any -presumably small - difference in POI?
Obviously, I could google the issue and get lots of numbers and pictures of jello shots, but I'm looking for more real world opinions.

Madcap_Magician

I find the difference in POI/POA between 115-gr. standard pressure and 147-gr. standard or +P is only a couple inches or less at any range I can shoot accurately enough to tell the difference, which is about 15 yards or less.

NWGlocker

While I was reading your post I was wondering if you were going to invoke perceived recoil as a reason to go to standard pressure ammo.

Unless you're planning to shoot at around 100 yards+, I don't think the differences in the bullet's trajectory and its POI is going to be significant for personal defense and "combat accurate" hits (as opposed to bulls eye shooting), especially at closer distances.

dayman

Not the first time I've over thought an issue. I suppose in a high stress situation a couple inches of drop is the least of my worries. I don't intend on trying to take a bear down via the eye any time soon.
I don't have a huge problem with the extra recoil of +P's persay - my other handguns are a pocket .380, and a snubby .357, so even with +p+ my 9 would be the softy of the bunch. It's mostly that I need my guns to last as long as possible, and high pressure rounds beat them up faster.
Granted, I typically shoot fewer than 100 defensive rounds a year. But, I find - for me - they feel different enough to shoot that I'd rather go with something else. I don't notice a huge difference between the 115's and 147's in how they feel to shoot.

Mobuck

I carry standard pressure 124 grain GoldDots. If I thought there was sufficient reason or justification for using +P, I'd darned sure be carrying them. Considering the pressure that a 9mm is running, there just isn't that much improvement with a so called +P load. Entirely different with the 38 Special but that's another topic.
Regarding the 9mm 147 grain (anything), just my opinion, but you're using the wrong logic. The 147 grain has a narrow niche of usefullness in 9mm. I find it's pretty good from a carbine but definately what I want when fired from a pistol.

Chesster

I have used the old Federal 9mm JHP "BP" load I think is the designation for carry a long time and Remington UMC and other 115 FMJ for the range. Still feel comfortable with this load despite the latest flavor of the month offerings.

arcticcat

Speer gold dots in 124 gr are pretty decent standard pressure rounds. Ive used them in my p226 for one of the reasons you mentioned, I tend to baby my guns, at least the SIGs, so I dont like shooting lots of +p.

Im not really concerned about accuracy though. In a real situation you arent going to be doing anything remotely resembling precision target shooting. That just doesnt ever happen in the real world if you look at shootings by cops, who even though they are trained for and used to high stress situations and confrontations, seem to miss more often than they hit their target.

The problem isnt necessarily poor marksmanship skills(not that most PDs have really high standards), but simply the difficulty of shooting accurately at a moving 3 dimensional target thats trying to kill you, while your adrenaline is raging, your fine motor skills have gone to crap, and your heart feels like its going to burst through your chest.

JC57

I carried the old Federal 9BP, 115gr standard velocity JHP for several years as a cop in a S&W 5946. I don't recall that there were +P 9mms back then (late 80s, early 90s) but I could be wrong.

We didn't worry about it that much then, seemed like a good enough round. That's what the department issued so that's what I had to carry. I didn't get in any shootouts with it so I guess I can't give you any real world experience.

I even still have the last box of it they had issued me. It's about 20 years old by now. I suppose it shoots fine, I haven't tried any.

LockedBreech

The 147-grain Federal HST and 147-grain Speer Gold Dot, both at standard, non plus-P pressure, are my favorite loads in 9mm. The 147-grain HST in particular is soft shooting and gives very impressive results.

I like 180-grain .40, 147-grain 9, and 230-grain .45, all standard pressure. They're easy to shoot and I just don't think +p matters much beyond marketing with the exception of the .38 Special, which gives substantially better performance with +p loadings.

Mrgunsngear

Link to Doc's ammo recommendations

I know it's not the end all, be all study but it's the best I know of... I'd check out the above link for information on ammo--then I'd pick one of the recommended ones. There's only 1 115gr load on there and it isn't the Hornady load.

That said, I'm sure it would still perform very well and I've felt comfortable carrying less (sometimes carry a 380) but all my 9mm carry loads are on the approved list and I really see no reason not to carry one when 50 round boxes of HSTs and Gold Dots can be had for around $25....

TunnelRat

I haven't found a dramatic difference in POI from 115 to 147 gr bullets in 9mm, at least not at a range which I think I would be in a SD situation.

Dashunde

^I agree.

I don't want to have to try to remember the new POI should I ever need to actually defend myself.

The slight change of POA between any of them is unlikely to be noticed under those circumstances, and if your attacker is far enough away for it to matter they're probably far enough away that your shot may not be justified in the first place.

I'd focus on picking a round that delivers the maximum possible energy while still being within your comfort zone for shootability and follow-ups.

If you are going to shoot a standard pressure load, my preference would be a 147gr load but there are several 124gr loads that are effective as well. A standard pressure 115gr load would be about my last choice for a self defense 9mm load. Here is a good list of loads that pass the FBI test protocol. http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887. Whoops, looks like Plouffedaddy already beat me to it.

mete

That Federal 115 standard pressure has been around a while and has always performed very well on the street. A standard pressure premium bullet is the Corbon all copper Barnes 95 gr.Designed for the newer small 9mm pistols

TunnelRat

The slight change of POA between any of them is unlikely to be noticed under those circumstances, and if your attacker is far enough away for it to matter they're probably far enough away that your shot may not be justified in the first place.

+1.

While I certainly think there is merit in shooting at longer distances at the range, i.e. 25 yards where you might notice the difference in POI between the bullet weights, as it helps the fundamentals and is also just fun I think you'd be hard pressed to convince a jury that you needed to take that shot at such a distance in order to save your own life. And again at those closer distances I don't think the POI will be an issue.