Standard issue pistol for the navy.

EIGHTYDUECE

Beretta m-9 is the service pistol for all the armed forces, Navy included.

Some special ops in various branches use different pistols.

Avid Concealer

Thanks, a friend just got back from training and told me that he got pretty good with a 9mm and a shotgun. I asked him what kind of 9mm and he had no clue, said there we no markings, and he isn't usually one to know anything about guns. Thanks for the info ; )

Chindo18Z

Then who uses the M11 SIG?

1. Army CID [Criminal Investigative Division ("Detectives") of the Military Police or Provost Marshalls Office

2. Army Personal Security Detail (PSD) personel. These are specially trained MPs assigned as bodyguards.

3. Army Military Intelligence officers in certain specialties requiring concealed carry (e.g., Counter-Intelligence Agent)

The operative requirement is a need for concealed carry.

JR47

The SEALS use the P226. This weapon was found to be as reliable as the M9, but suffered less problems with salt-water immersion.

FYI, the M14 rifle is still the Navy standard long-gun. Of course, there isn't quite the importance attached to small-arms outside of the SpecWar section of the USN. You'll still find the 1911A1 in the armory of many smaller combatants.

In 1969, the oiler that took me to the Philipines still had M1 Garands, Model 1928 Thompsons, and a few 1918A2 BARs in it's arms locker. The only thing that was current issue were the 1911A1s. :)

AMT8951

I think the SEAL's were using the P226, back before the Beretta M9 came along.
It's odd that back when the issue sidearm was the the 1911 .45, a lot of the SF guys were using 9mm's, like the P226 and the S&W MK 22 Model "O" (also called the "Hush Puppy".
Now that the 9mm Beretta has been general issue for a while, all the SF guy's are carrying .45's, like the HK Mk23 and Kimbers.
Just an observation. :)

JR47, I think I have you beat, The NG tank unit I served in back in 95' (1st btn 210th Armor) still had M3 "Grease Guns".

IZinterrogator

You know, every photo that I have seen lately of Naval aviators with their handguns, they all had M11s.

Oh, and Army PSDs only carry M11s if they are in civvies. Every O-6 and up in Iraq has his own PSD, and since they are in DCUs, they are all carrying M9s. Likewise with CI agents (although most of them are being removed from tactical MI units, so they will be more likely to be out of uniform than in one). CID guys worked across the street from my original detention facility in Iraq, but I never really paid much attention to what they were carrying because we were having a small feud with them at the time over parking and other stupid crap.

Yeah the SEALs are still officially issued P226s, not M9s, but as with all branches of the military that are in heavy combat right now, some buy their own handguns, often .45s.

alamo

FYI, the M14 rifle is still the Navy standard long-gun.

We had M-14s on my destroyer in the mid-80s. I figured they would have moved on to M-16s by now. Not that the M-14 isn't a great rifle though.

Eghad

Our CID guys always wore civies....didnt notice what they were carrying as most of them wore a 5.11 type of vest.