Stainless vs blued steel

Jump boot

I am courious about the pros and or cons of stainless steel for barrels and receivers.Besides one being more impervious to the elements then the other,are there any other tid bits of information that I might not be aware of.?I have always had blued barrels but I have a chance to pick up a 338 win mag. with a stainless barrel in a Reminton 700.The gun shop told me that it was a BDL but I am not aware that Remington even offered a 700 BDL with a stainless barrel.I do a lot of bench shooting also so how would the accuracy be with a stainless and the wear and tear of shooting often.?

Tom2

Check the barrel

I guess you should check the barrel to be sure it has Rem. markings if it seems to not be a catalog item. SS barrels usually won't rust, are harder to machine to fine tolerances, and some contend that regular barrels are more accurate, presumably because regular steel barrels are easier to rifle and chamber to tight tolerances. But, a SS barrel may not erode or wear as fast, but that might not matter in a big blaster that is not fired 1000s of rounds, like a varminter. Seems kinda half *** to make the barrel stainless and the rest blued, as then you will still have to worry about rust on the gun. But it may be for appearance sake? Practical accuracy may be the same as a blued barrel in a given gun without it being a special match barrel. That is about all the input I have right now.

Jump boot

Thanks Tom2

Thankyou Tom2,
I appriciate the come back on that.I kinda figured stainless would be tougher to work with when machining the barrel and parts.I think that I am just going to stick with my blue barrels.BTW,I'm located in Ohio too.Take care!..

JohnKSa

Administrator
Stainless is supposed to have a slight edge in terms of resisting throat erosion.

I've never heard any evidence that one is more accurate than the other.