Stainless v. Blued finishes...

Skans

An interesting thing has happened to me over the years. When I was younger (teens - early 30's), I really didn't care much for blued guns. Just about any gun I'd buy would have to be stainless, or at least hard-chrome or nickel plated. Not only were blued guns more prone to rusting, I just didn't find the blued finish very appealing.

Now, I prefer the look of blued guns over stainless. I really don't know when my preference changed, but I'm a sucker for a shiny blued finish.

Has anyone else experienced this "change in taste" over the years?

Jamie B

Opposite for me.

While I like a nice blue (Python) I prefer stainless for ease of care and rust resistance.

The new Tennifer finishes are an acceptable compromise.

Jamie

osbornk

I just chose blued over nickel for a simple reason. I think blue is easier to conceal than something shiny.

sgms

Blued, nickeled, or stainless, with the exception of Colt type single action revolvers and lever guns (I like them blued), it never has made any difference to me.

ltc444

I can't stand bright chrome plated guns. I look for a finish which will with stand hard use extreme climates and function every time I pull the trigger. If automotive undercoatings could be applied to a gun that is what I would have.

a7mmnut

After I carried blue guns for a few months and ruined the finishes on them I went to stainless and never turned back. The muzzle loading industry would also be bankrupt by now if it wasn't for ss. I still buy a few vintage blue arms once in a while. Whatever happened to Teflon coating? I hope the black stainless trend will continue to expand across the board.

-7-

FloridaVeteran

Yep, I prefer blued to stainless except for the three stainless guns I keep as a practical matter - two SAAs for rainy-day matches and the nightstand gun, because I don't want to have to wipe it down all the time.

The only two guns I've sold in the past 40 years were a pair of New Vaqueros. Half of the reason was because they were high-gloss stainless and the reflection from the top of the barrels and sights on a bright day was very distracting.

My wife's gun is black scandium, which is very practical and non-reflective, but not beautiful like a nice piece of blued metal. Add some case hardening on a single action or CAS rifle and you've got unbeatable beauty, IMO.

Some blued revolvers appear to show depth in there dark blue finish if one looks closely enough. Where as stainless is cold, practical, and all business like to me. This day in age. I find it enjoyable taking my time looking over a richly blue piece. But on my hip there is cold, practical, and all business like seen in my Milt Sparks holster. I find myself fond of both examples to be quite honest. I guess it all boils down to one's preference.

rfroy

Interesting topic. Back in 92 I purchased a nice 6" GP100 in stainless. I put many rounds thru it and just last i ran another 150. This is the only stainlesss gun that I own. I love the looks of blued pistols. But I want a Rossi 92 in stainless in both. 357 and .45 Colt. I do like the looks of a high polished SP101 but I would never own one.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Kreyzhorse

I've always preferred blued. I don't have an aversion to stainless, but there is just something classic about a blued finish.

While I can handle blued or stainless handguns, stainless rifles just look wrong to me.

KMAX

^^^

What Kreyhorse said. For carry I like the stainless, but for looks I prefer the classic blue.

Stainless for rust resistence.

Blue for beauty.

Then again, I have a stainless Colt that is so glossy and bright, I thought it was nickel plated and that I had been flim-flam'd. Only when I disassembled it did I notice the dull grey that is characteristic of unpolished stainless and the absence of a copper undercoat.

WV_gunner

I've never cared much for stainless steel guns. I prefer blues. Unfortuntatly the gun I'm gonna start saving for is only available in stainless and with rubber grips. I'm looking into Cerakote in Midnight Blue too make the gun look blued. That with Hogue wood grips would make it look excellent.

Pahoo

4V50 Gary + 1

I seldom would choose a stainless finish over a blued one if available. Stainless has no soul.
WOW,
I don't know about that but could we just say that they don't touch the heart. .... ;)
When folks talk about "Classic" firearms, SS never comes to mind, just blue but I could be wrong. I only prefer SS because of the abuse and you can always polish a scuff and sometimes, even a scratch. .... :)

Be Safe !!!