Stainless Taurus Judge 410/45 colt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siggy-06

The Taurus Judge in stainless steel(not the poly defender) with the 3 inch barrel has been on my list for a while. The price is under $400 new online. This will mostly be a "fun" gun for plinking and maybe for hiking for snake/rabid critter(possible 2 legged variety) defense. Might even go into the home defense rotation or stored in another side of the house. I have handled a S&W governor, but at $600+ for something for more fun and that I'll only shoot ocassionally, it's a bit expensive. I will run a few boxes of .410 and 45 colt to see its reliability and groupings before carrying it on the trails. From the reviews I've read and watched online, seems like a pretty great revolver for what it does. Any opinions on the Judge itself?(not Taurus's customer service. My experience with them was good). Any info is appreciated.

Last edited:

TruthTellers

QC aside, as long as you use good quality .410 ammo made for handguns and keep the distances reasonable when shooting .45 Colt, the Judge will be a blast to shoot.

It's not a great gun for concealed carry. Open carry it's pretty light for the amount of firepower.

Cheapshooter

I have had the polymer framed Public Defender since they were introduced. Mine is used as a truck gun for possible carjacking defense, loaded with three Federal Handhun 000 buck 410 shells followed by two Winchester PDX1 45Colt rounds. In the woods for snakes I carry a full cylinder of #8 shot 410 shells. Besides those two purposes it's a really fun range blaster. It is plenty accurate with 45 Colt despite the short 2" barrel, and shallow rifling. With the buckshot it keeps 4, .35 (9MM/380 diameter) projectiles in a 3" group @ 10 yds. 4 380 hits with each pull of the trigger. The pattern with birdshot is plenty dense at 10' to ruin a poisonous slithery critter's day.
As an owner, and user of a Judge variant I will say don't think of it as a shotgun. Think of it as a revolver that can shoot shotgun ammo for a limited range of use.
Now, get ready for the onslaught of Taurus hate, Judge hate, and attacks for being so stupid that you want a Judge! Mostly by those who have never fired, owned, or carried one.

The Old Salt

I have the 3" SS Judge. Fired it for the first time at Bass Pro in Springfield MO last month. Using the 45 LC ammo I bought in the store my first 5 shot group measured less that 2", range 20'. I'm pretty happy with that casue I'm a bifocaled senior citizen. So pistol sights are not as friendly as they once were. The siloette targets didn't help any with signt alignment.

I have not fired any shot shells yet but hope to soon. Plan to reload shot shells using 444 Marlin brass. Load is still under consideration but will post up results when all worked out. Hope to achieve 2" groups at 20' with a load of 3 ea. 0.380" 83gr pellets.

cpt-t

My Wife bought me a 4 inch really shiny SS Taurus 45LC / 410 Judge for Xmas many many years ago without asking me. She is still so proud of herself for picking out this gun without asking any advice from me. So I just have to go along with her choice and even brag on it every so often. But it is a hoot to shoot, and if I take it to the range I have to take a lot of ammo. Because a line forms behind the gun with people who are bad mouthing it, but dying to shoot it all the same until all the ammo runs out. I have used my Judge a lot when I use to go on float trips on the small streams in my canoe. I have had a great time with it. And have killed a lot of snakes, turtles, possums, raccoons, rabbits, rough fish, and even 2 coyotes with it over the years. I have never had any type of problem with my judge. And like I said it is a hoot to shoot. And it makes my Wife happy when she see`s me using it. And it She is happy it just make my life so much better.
ken

Glenn E. Meyer

That is a good point but do we need another Judge thread?

Debating shooting harmless critters (monster turtles?) might indicate the need for a close rather than the need for a Judge.

So, closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.