Stainless Encore Pro Hunter Color Variance

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I'm currently having a conversation of sorts with a company that makes Encore scope mount/bases regarding what I consider to be an aesthetically defective base. It is functionally correct but the color is nothing like I've ever seen any stainless Encore. The company claims "color variance" on Encore frames/barrels. While this is no doubt true to a minor extent, the mount is almost a pure white. My wife asked me why it's "bone colored". I seriously doubt any Stainless Encore has ever been remotely close to the color of this base.

If you have a stainless Encore Pro Hunter, could you be so kind as to post a photo of the action and barrel? Preferably relatively close up, and with a white paper background would be sweet if you're ambitious enough to take a picture just for this occasion. Any will do though.

Photos which include a base/mount/rings which are supposed to be silver would be nice too.:)

buck460XVR

Are the mounts you are lookin' at stainless themselves or milled from billet aluminum? I know when my son was lookin' for mounts for his Encore, most he found were aluminum and their finish was different than that on his Encore.

hoghunting

I gave up trying to mount a silver scopes on stainless rifles years ago as I had the same problem - the barrel, base, rings and scope are different shades of silver, even if the base, rings and scope come from the same manufacturer. I use matte finish bases, rings and scopes on my stainless steel guns and they will complement the black synthetic stock on your Pro Hunter.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
The mounts are aluminum. I don't expect a perfect match but I don't expect dull, spray paint like, grayish white either. They are advertised as "silver", I would not expect gray-white or "bone colored", as my wife said.

I've always used silver Warne rings and bases on the Encore and they match nearly perfectly.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Here's a photo comparison:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1161 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_1161 (640x480).jpg
    173 KB · Views: 1,082

hoghunting

Is that a Ded-Nutz mount? The ones that I've seen are silver not that color. Your wife is right, that is bone colored.

Downeast

What is more striking than color to me is the surface finish difference. I would bet anything the one on the left is abrasive blasted w/ aluminum oxide nedia and the one on the right was tumbled.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Yes, that's a DNZ mount.

The whole thing is wrong, color and finish. It's so far off that I'd consider it defective. It is anodized but they claim it's clear.

What's most irritating is that they claim that it's within "normal variances" and would match "some" Encore barrels. They claim that there are numerous shades of Encore frames and barrels and it's impossible to match them all. I call bull, as I've seen a fair number of not just Encore but many other stainless barrels/receivers and not only do none of them come close to being dull grayish white, they all look more or less the same except being matte or polished.

They want me to ship this one back, at my expense, AND include another $9 for the shipping of a replacement. :mad:

I'm going to return it to MidWay as "Not As Advertised" and request an exchange for a set of Warne rings. At least I should only have to pay shipping one way. :rolleyes: I only bought the thing because the single set of Warne rings can't hold the recoil of the Encore and DNZ claims that theirs will. A second set of the Warnes will do fine.

I can accept that a product that doesn't meet my expectations or is defective. What I can't accept are the excuses and correcting it at my own expense. It's too bad. I had high hopes for these things. Another great idea unfortunately backed up with excuses and poor service.

I don't know what these companies don't understand about customer service. Any reasonable complaint should be met with "I'm very sorry, let me me make that right for you." not "Sorry you don't like it but its normal, spend another $15 and we'll try again."

shortwave

What's most irritating is that they claim that it's within "normal variances" and would match "some" Encore barrels. They claim that there are numerous shades of Encore frames and barrels and it's impossible to match them all. I call bull, as I've seen a fair number of not just Encore but many other stainless barrels/receivers and not only do none of them come close ....

I'm with ya Brian. Have seen many,many SS bbls. in many different brands of guns (especially Encore's) but have never seen one as pale as that mount.

FWIW, my SS Encore Pro Hunter setup consists of:

Base : Brand is CVA Z-2 Scope base. Color is Silver TCA with a mfg. part # of DS103S

Mount/Rings: Brand is Weaver(Description is DET, TP MT RING 1"). Color is Silver High with a mfg. part of # 49322

Scope: Nikon Omega 3-9X40BDC250, color is Silver with a mfg. part # of 8402

The base and rings are a great match with the rest of the SS on the rifle. The scope is just a tad lighter but something I can deal with and certainly not even close to the DNZ mount you're showing. That DNZ mount would be un-acceptable and the 'great' CS you recv'd from DNZ is dully noted as well.

Too, since 2007 have shot a lot of magnum charges using bullets ranging from 240gr.-348gr. and have never had anything come loose or break.

Last edited: