Staining/refinishing fiberglass stock?

dyl

Hello all,

Just acquired a jungle fiberglass SKS stock.
Is it possible to stain it a bit more red and put a glossy coat like Tru-oil on it? Just for giggles? Has anyone ever tried this? What would happen if I tried to lightly sand it?

10-96

+1, you might check Jamestown Distributors for the epoxy finished designed for applications to fiberglass. Heck, they even have paint that will prevent moss from growing on your stock.

They also sell kevlar and carbon fiber material. If a guy was to get creative and apply a layer or two of carbon fiber and epoxy it down- it sure would look sharp.

dyl

burrhead - Mind your manners and if you keep rolling your virtual eyes they may get stuck that way!

Thank you for the replies.

This SKS jungle stock has a smooth brown outer surface that looks almost like wood on the outside - in contrast to a grainy/rougher appearing inner surface. I'm guessing the plastic / epoxy / polymer component was molded smooth or allowed to harden smooth. I wondered if the polymer took up brown dye if dyeing a different color was out of question. I think I understand the general consensus though.