Stag Grips, Show & Tell

darrentxs

The Super Blackhawk belongs to my brother. The grips were a gift to him from me. The Old Model Vaqueros and the Colt New Frontier .22 are mine. I dig stags can you tell? Your turn, show and tell...

Stags.jpg

Sgt127

I'll play. Grashorn Stags on 629 Round butt.

3-2.jpg

Old set of stags I picked up at Walds Police Supply in Dallas around 1978 on a revolver that looked like it deserved a set of old stags.

IMG_0140.jpg

Sgt127

Thanks! Its worse than my bite.

(Thank you! Thank you! Be sure to tip your waitress, I'll be here all week!)

PawPaw

Okay, I'll play.

Both of these are whitetail deer antler, cut from opposite sides of the same rack.

grips%2B06.jpg

My son's Springfield on top, my Kimber on bottom.

Rifleman1776

All very nice. I have some Jay Scott imitation stag grips on my Ruger Super Single Six. They have been there since 1970 and I love them. Also had some on my Ruger Old Army and liked equally.
Not showing because they are not real stag.

darrentxs

Those look sharp Pawpaw, did you make those or supply the antlers for them?

Rifleman, I had a High Standard Longhorn .22 with imitation stags awhile back that looked pretty sharp. They aged to a nice color. You're welcome to share here!

P5 Guy

Very Nice!

I have liked the look of these grips, but have one question.
Not wanting to derail the topic.
Beside the fine looks do grips like these offer any other advantage? Better control? and such like?

darrentxs

Very nice Redhawk Sarge! I live near where Ajax was and my pic has all Ajax made grips. I had to supply the medallions for the Rugers, that was fun. ps I tipped the waitress ;)

P5 Guy, There are far better grip panels for the purpose of actual gripping. Stags may be an improvement over smooth wood. Perhaps way back when.. some cowboy made them for the textured surface IDK. I just like they way they look. :D

Sgt127

Darren, I only own a couple Single actions. A Colt and a Vaquero. An Old Army too, now that I think about it.

I think Stags look thier best on a single action, and, your picture, I believe shows that. Those are very attractive guns.

I bought alot of stuff from Ajax. When they did things right, it was very, very good. It seemed near the end, quality started to slip a little and, I heard some grumblings on the forums I frequent.

I think Grashorn would be my go to guy for stags right now. You pick the thickness, the amount of bark, everything. Really good to work with.

riddleofsteel

0ef3eaf2.jpg

004.jpg

stagbh3.jpg

Sambar Stag on my babies, a matched set of .45 Colt Ruger Black Hawks. The 4 5/8" is a .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible.

Last edited:

Quincunx

+1 for Mr. Grashorn. Here's a shot (taken from that worthy gentleman's website) of my 1911 grips; they now reside on my 1970's Colt Combat Commander. The medallions are actually small coins that he installed for me.

Attachments

• murphy1911bone001_JPG_w300h225.jpg
    murphy1911bone001_JPG_w300h225.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 35

darrentxs

Great stuff folks! Mighty fine looking grips and photography! Those are all gorgeous! No two alike, gotta love it : )

PawPaw - I like your grips even better now that I know your son made them!

Sgt - I heard about the Ajax decline, and truth be told I would have preferred a bit more bark for my Vaqueros. It's nice to know there is a great Stag grip source now! Thanks to those that recommended Grashorn, I'll definitely use him next.

Last edited: