Stag grips-real or fake?

PzGren

Seen a nickel plated M-15 today with stag grips. Gun is clean but aftermarket nickel, no N in cylinder.

It has however stag grips that are nicely mounted on top of wooden shims.

How do you tell if they are really real? The way they are mounted on the wood does not look cheap.

gunny6

I`d bet that they were fake Jay Scott grips. I own 4 pair of genuine stag, no wooden backs on them.........

dewey

Get a LARGE pin and heat it up. Contact the'stag'
area and it should give some but not much if it is real. I agree with gunny6. best....dewey

James K

Member In Memoriam
Get in the dog house! Yup, get in the dog house and get an old bone. Tap on it with a fingernail and something metal like a key. Remember the sound and the feel. Now do the same with a piece of plastic, then with the grips.

Jim

MADISON

Stag or Not?

If you have an extra set of grips for the gun...
Hold a lighted match to one side of the grip. If it "RUNS", it is plastic. You have also messed up the grips.

PzGren

I cannot do too many tests, jeopardizing the grips, since the gun is still in the store ( and will probably stay there).

I had the feeling that they were fake, probably of the Jay Scott brand mentioned.

What puzzled me was that they were really nicely fitted and mounted on what seemed to be walnut. I wondered why somebody would do that to plastic?!