Staball 6.5

riverratt

I'm running low on my stock of A 4064 that I got a couple years ago and looking to switch powder in hopes of finding something that my gun likes a bit better. One of my 7mm-08s love the 4064 (both IMR and Accurate) with the 120gr ballistic tips, so I'm wanting to save my remaining stock for that load. I just can't seem to get any better than about 1.75" group with any combination using the 4064 or IMR 4350. (Just the 2 powders I had excess of during the hight of the shortage)

I have found some 8 pounders locally of both Varget and the Staball 6.5 powders, and I am contemplating buying one. I know that I have a decent load with the Varget. It showed a lot of potential with about a 1.25" group on an undeveloped load before I ran out, but honestly, the extra velocity potential of the Staball powder is intriguing me as I prefer to shoot the 150-160gr class bullets in this rig.

For those that have used this powder in a 7mm-08, were you able to actually achieve this higher velocity while maintaining your accuracy? Also, overall, how did the powder preform for you? Keep in mind that my intent is to shoot the heavier bullets with this rig.

I am fully aware that your experience may not reflect what I may see. I'm just trying to get a baseline for how this powder MAY perform, beings that I haven't seen any 1 pound cans of this powder around so I can test it myself. As far as the Varget goes, I've already bought 1 8 pounder, and will likely buy another 8 pounds next time I'm over that way.(if they still have it)

ADI AR2008 (Varget here) was originally developed to compete with 4064, which is why it does well in cartridges that like 4064. But it is not the fastest velocity powder.

A number of folks have said favorable things about Staball 6.5, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll caution that the temperature stability feature in powders can be good in the cartridges they were designed around, but not work in some other cartridges. Varget has good stability in 308 Win, for example, but is no better than any other stick powder in the 223 Rem. All you can do it try.

riverratt

I was back out near that gun store yesterday. I went in to get the second 8 pounds of Varget. When I looked they had a few 1 lb cans od the Staball, so I picked one up to test out.

Unclenick, I know Varget is around the same burn rate as 4064. That's why I picked up the 4064 when I did. It was right at the beginning of the shortage, when you couldn't find any Varget anywhere. I had just worked up a very promising load with the last of my Varget. Beings that I couldn't find any Varget, and could feel the shortage approaching, I figured I could find a good load with 4064 and stocked up. Well, it worked for the rifle I shoot the 120's in, not so much for the other. Just a chance we take