Staball 6.5

reynolds357

Anyone loaded with it?
Its showing some blistering velocities in cartridges that fit its burn rate. Supposedly completely temp insensitive.
I ordered some but not here yet.

hounddawg

I have been hearing mixed reviews, looking forward to hearing what you think. If I see it on the shelf at LGS I might pick up a pound

std7mag

Yup, "temp stable".
Another way to be lazy.
I still say verify.
Make and use your dope sheets.
Real world experience trumps marketing ploy every day!

The latest Hodgdon reloading (2020) has an article focusing on Staball 6.5 and its characteristics...and a bouquet of loads in various categories. Most importantly, it seems to have lower SD's in most loads. I think I'm gonna try it.

reynolds357

That's the only way to know how it will shoot for you.
Velocity wise, its up to advertised. Makes a 150 30-06 scream. Will have to load it for some of my more accurate rifles to form opinion on accuracy. This rifle is a pencil barreled 700 mountain rifle that is only a 3/4 minute rifle.

Good to know it's meeting the velocity claim. See if the velocity changes appreciably with temperature if you get a chance, so we can see if it applies to that chambering and bullet weight well.

Anybody else testing different cartridges and bullet weights, please do the same. I expect its temperature compensation to be optimized for 6.5 Creedmoor with the 140-grain match bullets, or thereabouts. But experience will be the teacher, here.

roc1

I shot a few 6mm Creed loads yesterday with it accuracy was good didn’t chrono it will later. I loaded some in 6.5 haven’t shot any of those yet. Meters excellent in measure. Accurate looks promising
Roc1

MZ5

I'm curious to read more about experiences with this powder, too. General Dynamics has really pushed its temp-resistant powders of late, but I've never had one of their sphericals match the consistency of even their own extruded powders. Maybe "this time it's different."
;-)

I think that's because, previously, spherical propellants could not be made temperature insensitive. This is the first one. Let's cross our fingers.

MZ5

Unclenick said:
This test is imperfectly designed, but it suggests better temperature stability than non-stabilized powder, though not quite as good as some other temperature stabilized powders.

That test video is interesting to me mainly because SD was so much lower with the spherical than with the Thales powder that everyone loves. The guy _probably_ just didn't choose a good load for the Thales powder, but it was interesting nonetheless.

I also ALWAYS wish people would give more info so that we can either pay attention to or discard the 'statistics' they provide.

reynolds357

That test video is interesting to me mainly because SD was so much lower with the spherical than with the Thales powder that everyone loves. The guy _probably_ just didn't choose a good load for the Thales powder, but it was interesting nonetheless.

I also ALWAYS wish people would give more info so that we can either pay attention to or discard the 'statistics' they provide.
You can get crazy results with velocity. Easy to manipulate if you so choose.

stagpanther

Just ordered some from PV--but it may take a while to get here as the shipping companies seem to have tripled their delivery time estimates for this time of year.