ssg3000 opinions/reviews

razcob

It looks and plays the part.

I bought my Sig Sauer SSG3000 two years ago, and have put about 300 rounds through it. It is mounted with a Sig Weaver Rail Adapter, Badger Ordnance 34mm rings, and a Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50 PMII w/mildot. I am extremely pleased with the accuracy, and I use .308 casings as targets at 100 yards, (harris bipod and rear sand bag rest). It can be picky chambering certain types of ammo, due to the tight tolerances. My rifle prefers PMC 168's, as opposed to Federal 168's. I really like the safety release, which is inside the trigger guard, forward of the trigger. The action is very smooth, and the trigger is excellent. I have had a problem with the bolt hitting the adjustable cheek rest, (when pulling back the bolt, if the cheek rest is too high). This was remedied by taking additional fiberglass off the front of the cheek rest. The bolt handle has removed a small chip of exterior coating from the stock.

Last edited:

reticle

thanks for the reply razcob. I have wanted one of these for a while. Even ordered one but when delivery was delayed several times, I bought a TRG21 (Sako). It is a fine gun and a joy to shoot (makes me look good). Still I'm interested in the Sig. Is the action smooth enough to release and lock with one digit? How effective is the muzzle brake? Did you place a special order for yours and how long did you have wait?

razcob

The bolt is easily released with one finger, and the bolt will slide effortlessly forward when the muzzle is pointed down (unloaded). It does take an effort to open the bolt after you shoot a round (tight chamber tolerance). The casings leave small shavings on the bolt face. It is hard to tell if the muzzle break is effective, because the rifle weighs 16 pounds with the scope. The recoil is minimal, like a light tap on the shoulder. My rifle took 5 weeks to arrive. I received my rifle in April 2000, and the barrel was marked "AA", or manufactured in 2000, so, it wasn't sitting in a warehouse collecting dust. Some web sites list the rifle as being made in Switzerland, but mine is made in Germany. The TRG 21 is a fine rifle, it was my second choice. What kind of scope do you have on your TRG?

reticle

that was quick! I have the scope that was on it. It's a springfield gen.III. There are better scopes but I haven't taken the time to get another as I keep finding other guns I want more. My Trg has a removable muzzle brake so I could compare the difference. While it's noticeable, it won't send you home in tears :D . I waited three months for my 3000 and since I'm not big on delayed gratification, when the TRG went up for sale by a local LEO I gave him what he wanted. I'm also a wimp so i'ts a safe queen in the winter months. Thanks for the info. you da man.