SS guide rod for my sig: my thoughts

Axion

I've never found the snappiness of the .40s&w round in the 229 to be a problem, but still the idea of adding a little more weight to the front intrigued me so while I was ordering other misc. parts I added a solid SS guide rod to my Top Gun shopping cart. After two range sessions with it, and back to back comparisons with the stock rod here are my thoughts.

First off, these are not gimmicks. After the first shot I could immediately feel the differences and back to back comparisons confirmed my first impressions. Now maybe in heavier steel framed guns there is less of a difference, but in aluminum framed Sigs there is a definite difference. Now weather or not the extra weight up front is a good thing is an entirely different issue all together and probably has a lot to do with your level of ability and the intended use of the weapon.

The extra weight out front, from the SS guide rod, defiantly takes some of the edge and speed (read; snappiness) off the recoil. The downside is that push from the gun into your hands and the top of the travel is a bit more firm. In other words the difference in feel due to the two guide rods is a light and fast vs. heavy and slow type thing.

What this means is that if you are a highly skilled shooter I bet you'd get faster splits out of the stock setup. I think even I can shoot slightly faster with the stock setup. That said, shooting as fast as I can (while still getting a sight picture between shots) my groups are noticeably tighter with the SS guide rod. Sure it slows me down a little bit but the heavier and slower recoil is easier for me to deal with at my skill level.

Another thing is that my GF who I take shooting with me a least once a month likes the way it feels better with the SS guide rod. Furthermore she's always had an issue with flinching. The type where her first shot will be dead on, but after that she gets nervous and starts flinching bad. She's been shooting for the last year with me, and she's getting better about this, but there has been a real improvement in her shooting since I put the new guide rod in. Just some further food for thought.

9mm1033

I'm glad you can tell a difference because the weight difference is an ounce or two. Don't get me wrong, my Sig and XD have aftermarket stainless guide rods, but I feel no change in accuracy, speed shooting, recoil, etc. Nonetheless, they do look better than plastic.

hoytinak

I just picked up a P229 Elite in 9mm and was thinking about getting a SS guide rod for it. I had one in my Glock that I think made a really good improvement. I'm just not a fan of plastic guide rods in any gun. The reason I changed mine in my Glock was cause the factory plastic one broke.

eltorrente

I ordered one from Topgunsupply also, along with some other parts, and the package should be here tomorrow. It was only 25bucks, so it's certainly worth checking out.

I have a P220, and the stainless steel version (the Bedair guide rod) weighs .7oz's more than the stock version. Bedair also makes a Tungsten guide rod that adds 2.1ozs over the original. I think .7oz should make a difference, since the weight is concentrated so far forward and beneath the barrel.

Axion

I think .7oz should make a difference, since the weight is concentrated so far forward and beneath the barrel.

Exactly, while the guide rod only increases the mass of the gun by 2% that's 2% placed right out at the end of the slide. In any case I noticed a difference in how the gun handled others may be less sensitive to subtle differences.