Srikis handgun

Thecollector

What actually is this thing? Found this on the web:
"A Srikis 9mm in the 80′s, carried it for a few weeks before shooting it, went to camber a few rounds just to make sure it worked with the ammo I had just bought. I was killing time before work started at a VW dealer in Orlando. Pointed it into the dumpster and pulled back the slide, BURPPPPPPPPPPPPP. Firing pin stuck in the forward position, full auto for the 6 rd mag. Dumpster took them all. Cleaned the gun ( and my shorts), fixed the FP, sold it the next week at a gun show."

RX-79G

Sirkis is a firearms designer, and made a tiny BUG in the '80s. Looks a little like CAT 9. I thought he might also have some ties to HI-Point and Kimber, but I'm not sure.

carguychris

Thecollector said:
And what was that talk about the full auto capability?
The excerpt says that the firing pin is stuck.

If the firing pin of a typical semi-auto pistol sticks far enough forward to project from the breech face, the pistol can theoretically slam-fire. This occurs when the projecting firing pin strikes the primer of the first cartridge as the chamber is loaded, setting it off without the trigger being pressed. This may cause an uncontrollable chain reaction in which the gun continues to fire full-auto with no shooter intervention until the magazine is empty. :eek:

This is a VERY dangerous condition for two primary reasons. First, the shooter can't stop the gun from firing; he/she can only wait until the ammo runs out, hopefully while maintaining control over the direction of the muzzle! Second, semi-auto pistols are NOT designed to fire this way, and typically fire slightly out of battery (i.e. the cartridge goes BANG before the breech closes all the way), potentially resulting in a case rupture and a serious kB!- OR the pistol may spontaneously and violently disassemble itself. :eek:

This is the reason why almost all modern pistol manuals advise the shooter to check that the firing pin is not projecting prior to loading the pistol. Furthermore, most pistols are designed in such a way that it's extremely unlikely for the firing pin to get stuck in this position. (I don't know if the Sirkis is particularly prone to this problem.)

FWIW a slam-fire is similar to how a typical open-bolt submachine gun works; such guns often have a fixed "firing pin" consisting of a simple nub on the breech face. However, the trigger mechanism of most pistols holds the firing pin back while the bolt (slide) is forward, whereas the trigger of an open-bolt SMG is designed to hold the bolt back; this allows the shooter to stop the bolt from moving and thus cease full-auto fire when the trigger is released. A typical pistol's trigger can't control the firing pin if it's stuck or if the slide is prevented from going fully into battery. Furthermore, submachine guns are designed to prevent or at least contain case ruptures.

Last edited:

gyvel

A few years ago I purchased a replacement firing pin for a Remington 51 .380 from Sarco that turned out to be too long. (Probably a factory reject.) When I went to test fire the gun (you guessed it), it went full auto. Luckily I had only loaded three rounds. The first went into the bullet trap in my shop. The next two went astray, but one of them hit an old box of .220 Swift, detonated one round (one in a million) and scattered several others, plus ruining the old Remington red and green box.

When I examined the firing pin I found it to be protruding beyond the breech face enough to make the gun a slam fire. It was a simple matter to shorten it to specs, but it was still unnerving.

It just goes to show that it can happen. MIIAA

Last edited:

Skans

I'm always a little baffled to hear about handguns with long or stuck firing pins go full-auto. It's not that I don't believe it, I just don't get the mechanics of this. Open bolt guns designed to fire full auto all have a "lip" on the lower breach face, which is slightly longer than the protruding firing pin. This allows the bolt/slide to feed the cartridge into the chamber before the fixed firing pin hits the primer. Without the lip, it seems to me that the cartridge would get hung up on the protruding firing pin while feeding. Perhaps not?:confused:

Big Shrek

Gyvel, I hope you reported that to Remington.

Even if they didn't have to fix it, they still need to know about it and what serial range it occurred in...
A report of this nature is worthy of its own thread as well...:)

Bart Noir

Shreck, I really doubt that too-long replacement firing pin had a serial number.

The packaging might have had ID information, but since it likely was made long before most of us were born, I doubt that Remington can make any modern factory improvement concerning this.

Bart Noir

gyvel

Gyvel, I hope you reported that to Remington.

This was caused by an out-of-spec firing pin I got from Sarco (big surprise, huh?). While they were advertised (at the time) as "original factory") most likely they were factory rejects.

At any rate, I pulled the FP from another 51 I had at the time, compared the two, and found the pin to be too long. A quick trip to the lathe took care of the problem

Last edited: