SR9c vs Glock 26

ScotchMan

So I know the prevailing opinion is Glock 26. There are threads with this same question in the past. However, I have a unique scenario and I'm wondering if its worth it for me to switch from an SR9c I already have to a Glock 26 I don't.

I have an SR9c, it was my first gun and has been my EDC since September. I have gone through several training classes with it. I have invested in it: night sights, 2 additional magazines, a couple holsters, and a lot of practice. It's been good to me, and I have no huge complaints.

Recently I've realized I prefer not to have a manual safety. One of those things you like starting out and then get over with time and comfort. I could leave it off, but there's always the chance it gets flicked on by accident, and I wouldn't be switching it off on the draw.

Finally, I live in a state with 10 round limits on magazines. But, I can find Glock 17 and 19 pre-ban magazines all day long. So I could carry a 26 with a 15 or 17 round backup.

I just handled a Glock 26 Gen4, and find it fits me well, and pointed naturally, both things I don't remember being the case when I initially looked at Glocks during my search. The trigger was nice with a solid reset. I was pretty surprised to see I was holding a Glock, all in all. I'm tracking a private sale on a used one with 600 rounds through it for $450. If I can get that deal I will jump on it for sure, otherwise would be paying around $500-525 locally.

So, the question is given all the above, would you start over with the Glock, or keep rolling with the SR9c? Don't just say Glock because you have a Glock or like Glocks, the question is it worth the expense of starting over with the new platform, in terms of getting magazines, new night sights, a holster, breaking it in, and training with it.

BleedinPurple

you are really the only one that can answer your question...the ruger is a fine firearm and so is the glock...but an easy solution to your problem is buy the glock, keep your ruger and have 2 guns...

ScotchMan

Yeah, I guess. I always enjoy getting other people's opinions on these things, sometimes they see things I overlook. Maybe there's someone who faced a similar dilemma and has feedback from after the fact.

Glenn E. Meyer

I hear you on the issue of the manual safety. It is risk of not being disengaged when you need it rapidly on a self-defense gun.

If one trains extensively and uses a quality holster the lack of a safety is no handicap to Glock use.

I'd get the Glock as a 2nd or trade.

We carry revolvers without manual safeties and feel fine.

Pond James Pond

I have a Glock 19 and have also been tempted on occassion by the 26.

I tried a used 3rd gen model and I shot it better than my own.

However, I don't think I'll change, because the 19 is a good gun. THe reset on both was good: very crisp and right on the edge of the break.

Sounds like your SR is also a good gun. So really the only advantage at present would be the excellent size of the G26. Is that reason enough to change?

Perhaps you could try one and see how it shoots for you. If you shoot it well/better then that would of course be another reason to support a change...

mrvco

I certainly would not sell a gun you like to buy one you have yet to put a single round through, but if you like the feel of the 26, I'd buy it, shoot them both and sell whichever one you decide isn't it.

sawman1293

The SR9c was the first pistol I purchased. Great gun! I have since bought a Glock 19, and a FNX9. A G26 will be my next. Keep the SR9c and buy a G26 for a second!

TailGator

I own pistols with and without thumb safeties, and my EDC is a Glock 26. Why? I have never discharged a firearm unintentionally (presumably due to an odd habit I have developed of keeping my finger off the trigger until I am ready to fire) but I have forgotten to flip off the safety when I was at the range. I don't want to have the opportunity to make that mistake under stress. I know other people really feel great about thumb safeties, but I tolerate them rather than depend on them.

Ain't it great that we have a choice?

peacefulgary

Funny you should ask....

The Glock 26 was once my favorite concealed carry pistol.
I carried it for several years.
My wife wanted a concealed carry pistol too but she really didn't like my G26. She said that it was just a tad too chunky in the grip for her hand.
So, we looked at other compact and sun-compact pistols (M&Ps, XDs, Kahrs, Sigs, etc...).
The one we both really liked was the Ruger SR9c.
She got the pistol and it was a match made in heaven.
She shoots it very well, and so do I.
In fact, I shot it better than I did my G26.
It felt better in my hand than the G26 and the trigger was better as well.
And it has metal sights too.

After several months of contemplation, I traded the used G26 for a new Ruger SR9c.

So, I recommend that you shoot a G26 and compare it with how you shoot your Ruger.
Go with whichever one you shoot best.

Last edited:

ScotchMan

I hear you on the getting rid of a tried and true carry gun for an unknown. If I did this, I would own both for a period of time so I could decide. I'll get a lot of peace of mind that I made the right decision by being able to shoot them side by side.

And, it just so happens it looks like the deal on the Glock 26 Gen4 I mentioned is going to happen, so I will have that opportunity.

Btw, I never wanted the manual safety in case I accidentally pulled the trigger. It was an irrational thing about it in the holster or safe I guess, even though I knew it wouldn't go off on its own. Like I said, you get comfortable with things and "grow up" a little :) I've been quite comfortable carrying my PPS with no safety.

K_Mac

The ergonomics of the 9c and 26 are very different. I like the external safety. I love my 9c and would not have the Glock. Not that there is anything wrong with the Glock. It just doesn't work for me.

Are you saying that you can carry a pre-ban 17 rnd mag for a post-ban Glock, but not a post-ban17 rnd mag made for your Ruger? If so, that is so silly it hurts.

ScotchMan

I held the 26 Gen4 in the store and really liked the feel. I've found I like finger grooves on the front strap, which my other guns have. Comparing it to the Ruger I found it at least as comfortable. I will compare the two more in depth and report back.

Yes its just like the federal AWB we used to have. Magazines exceeding 10 rounds are illegal unless manufactured before September 1994. So in the handgun world, that limits me to Glock, Sig (P229/P228/P226) and Beretta 92 series. NY is a silly silly state...

cetanner

I tried a number of guns before I purchased the Ruger SR9C. They included the Glock 26, S&W MP&9C, and the SA XDM9. Personally I didn't like the way the Glock 26 felt in my hand. I love the Sr9C and I liked the SA XDM9. Try the Glock 26 at a range before you buy it. Make sure you like it before you buy it.

tahunua001

whatever you feel most comfortable with is the one that you should pick. I personally dislike glocks and hate all the guys that claim that glock is the only way to go if you want to use it in self defense. also I love my SR9C and it is my daily carry piece. I carry IWB at 12 oclock and after reading one too many stories about "bubba shooting his winky off with girlfriends pink revolver" I do not feel comfortable carrying with anything that does not have a manual safety, a caution that has religated my XDM45 compact to the gun safe until I get new holsters and lose enough weight to explore other carry options.

however I am a firm believer that with all that said, your life is not worth being cheap over. If you really are not comfortable with the setup you have, by all means go out and get a gun without a manual safety. please, go buy that glock 26 and 50 dollars worth of gear because in the end your question you should be asking is;
"Is my life worth $500?"

if the answer is yes(which I sure hope it is) then the glock may be a good option. if you are short on cash or dont really feel comfortable having a bunch of guns laying around, sell the SR9C. with the upgrades and goodies you have you shouldn't take more than $100 dollars loss on it.

barstoolguru

Add me to the g26 club; the grip is what I liked. The grip is not strait and has a palm swell that makes the gun handle better.

This is just a personal option but I don't see a 1/4 of an inch in thickness making any difference in carryability. My g26 carries well and with 11 rounds gives me the firepower that might be needed

ScotchMan

Yeah they will carry identically I'm sure. The Glock felt a little better, and I can get high-capacity mags for it. The safety is a distant third, and that's pretty much the reasoning.

cebur19

Don't sell your guns

You are asking for advice. My advice is, don't sell your SR9C, keep it. I would also advise you to buy the Glock 26. You can't have too many guns. If you sell the SR9C there will come a time when you will regret it. Keep it and buy the Glock 26 too. A couple years ago I sold an FNP45 and bought a Glock 30SF. I like the G30 but now I want the FNP45 back. I regret parting with it.

ScotchMan

Not to hijack my own thread...

But I just noticed this on the barrel of my SR9c

VAZmQ.png

1Gmzl.jpg

If my SR9c has to make a second pilgrimage to Prescott, Arizona, I'll be glad to have the Glock 26 as another carry option :rolleyes: