SR9c, Opinions?

Deegle

Recently picked up a P95 and love it! Too big for concealed carry, but it is making me seriously consider the SR9c for concealed carry. I've always been a S&W and Walther guy, but I'm open to change if it is for the better.

Just wondering what those who carry an SR9c think of it(accuracy, reliability, trigger, etc.), and in what manner you carry it?

Thanks!

AustinTX

I don't own or carry one (I carry a PPS in 9mm), but I've put ~300 rounds through a couple of rentals (one SR9 and one SR9c). I enjoyed both guns, but I especially enjoyed the SR9c. They felt sturdy and well-made, and neither had any malfunctions. The SR9 had a crappy trigger, though, so my accuracy suffered. The SR9c debuted with a much-improved trigger, and I shot it very accurately.

Being a double-stack gun, it's definitely a little thicker than a Taurus 709 or a Kel-Tec PF9, but it's a much more well-made gun than either. I think it's far and away the best choice for a small, slim 9mm in that price range.

Xfire68

I to have rented one (SR9c) and it's high on the list for the girlfriends new gun!

Accurate! Well built! Handles great! And it has good or even great capacity!

bedbugbilly

When I was looking for a 9mm semi-auto, I checked out a lot of different brands/models. I had read some reviews on the SR9c and I wanted to check that out as it looked like what I was looking for. I went to one of the gunshops I deal with and looked it over and handled it. I'm in AZ during the winter and I wanted something that I could carry "open" as well as concealed and I was thinking the SR9c would be just the ticket. After handling it, I didn't like the lenght of the grip in my hand with a 10 rd. magazine. With a 17 rd. magazine in it and the extension cushion on the magazine, it fit my hand well. Keep in mind, we all have different hand sizes, etc. as well as preferences. After sitting the SR9c next to the SR9, I chose the SR9. I felt that even though there was a little more barrel length and grip length, I could carry it open or concealed withouth a problem. Again, that is just personal preference and keep in mind, this is my first semi-auto. (I usually shoot revolvers). For my purposes, my SR9 will mostly be for target shooting and for open carry. However, if I decide that I am going to carry concealed more often, I would probably get an SR9c and "adapt" to the things such as the shorter grip, etc. I have a feeling that I will get the SR9c if for nothing more than it's a little smaller and probably easier to carry in a pocket, etc. Whether it is the SR9 or the SR9c, based on my great experiences with my SR9, I would have to say that either of them are excellent weapons - rugged - dependable and reasonably priced. I've heard a lot of comments on trigger pull, etc. but I have never had a problem or issue with that with my SR9. Once I learned the "feel" of the pistol and the trigger pull, it has proven to be a very accurate shooter. If I had one complaint, it would be on the "stiffness" of the double stack magazine. Having only used single stack magazines, it takes some getting used to (for me) but I'm sure that the stiffness will work out of them the more use they get. I have never had a feed problem, jamming problem, ejecting problem or misfire. The SR line is easy to field strip and clean as well. For me, I couldn't be happier with my choice. Good luck! :)

Fargazer

My wife has a SR9c, and enjoys it quite a bit. She's put about 800 rounds through with several different ammo's and bullet weights, and has had no malfunctions at all. It's not the easiest nor hardest to field strip, but my wife is able to do it without any great difficulty.

It's not the only possible CC weapon, but it's a fine choice for many people.

Redbeardsong

I like mine a lot. I carry it concealed IWB every day. The trigger is very nice, with a crisp reset, and it's comfortable and accurate to shoot. Over 850 rounds and no failures. I don't even clean it much.

K_Mac

I could not be happier with mine. For less than $400 it is a great deal on a quality handgun IMO. Good luck.

ClydeFrog

My thoughts on the Ruger SR9c pistol...

I've seen a few good deals on NIB(new in box) Ruger SR9c models.
I also know the first run of the SR9 series had a major factory re-call & re-design. :(
For the $$$ the compact 9x19mm pistols seem like a good value. The Ruger SR9c did win 2010 Pistol of the Year by a firearms industry trade group.
I'm just not crazy about the black plated alloy slide. :(
The brushed stainless metal would be a better pick. The great Black-T or Green-T; www.Black-T.com . The superb coating; NIC would work well also but it's not cheap. www.APWcogan.com
Follow the links to the NIC color chart where you can view a Glock pistol in blue, tan, brown, OD, camo, grey, etc.

If you have the $$$, see a S&W military police 9mm compact(with ambi safety) the great PX4 Storm sub-compact 9mm, or a CPO SIG Sauer P239 SASII DAK or the old school P225/P6.

ClydeFrog

stickhauler

I carry a SR-9 C daily, and really like it quite a lot. It's accurate as all get out, light and easily concealed even in an outside the waist holster. Maybe it works well for me because I have smaller "farmer hands", so the 10 round magazine with the finger extension works well for me. My only change to the standard pistol was to install Trijicon night sights.

I bought mine because it has the black plated alloy slide, I don't really care for a shiny pistol.

Fireatwill

SR9c

I bought an SR9c and like it very much. I noticed that the slide was very hard to rack but I thought that it might loosen up in time. It hasn't. I have a Glock .40 and it is much easier to rack the slide. I didn't consider this a big problem until I had a ftf and I had to lock the slide back to clear the problem (cheap ammo, not the gun's fault). I managed it, but it wasn't fast or easy. I contacted Ruger and they responded quickly saying that they don't offer lighter recoil springs.

I'm no kid anymore and I have arthritic hands but I have no trouble retracting the slide on any of my other semi-autos. Just something to consider.

Xfire68

When you have a gun that does not work 100% the way you want you may need to mod it a bit.

I have read some are using Glock 17 recoil springs to make it easier to manipulate the slide but, you need to mod the guild rod.

mactex

I've enjoyed my SR9c tremendously. It was one of the more accurate guns right out of the box that I have owned in a while. My only recommendation is to get the stainless steel slide as the black ones have a tendancy to chip their paint.

81aggie

Another satisfied SR9c owner here. I'd had the full size SR9 for a while and was very happy with it so when the "c" came out I knew I'd end up with one. Several hundred rounds through it now without a hitch and it has pretty much become my primary carry gun, fits well in a Crossbreed and a bit lighter and more comfortable than my compact RIA. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend taking a good look at this pistol for anyone looking for a small 9mm to carry.

Hitthespot

I'm fortunate enough to be able to purchase just about any handgun I want for everyday carry. I chose the SR9c and still don't see anything I would replace it with. I've got over 600 rounds now through mine without any malfuntion. I carry it in a JBP #035 holster and it works for me.

Mosin44az

No one is bothered by the thumb safety on the SR9c? It seems too far back for me, and a bit slippery on contact. Kept me from buying one, the rest seems fine.

147 Grain

The current production SR9C is one of the best kept secrets in a nice compact to medium sized package. It is rugged, well built, and refined - standing up well to its main competitors. Very pleased with its performance!