SR9C First Impressions

Dragline45

First impressions of the gun, it has great ergo's. I don't have very large hands so the SR9c fits me like a glove which is one of the reasons I bought it. For me it is the perfect balance of size and weight for a dual use carry/home defense gun. If I need more concealment I will go with my J frame, but it conceals very well and I will continue to use it in my carry rotation. So far I have 400 rounds through the gun without any problems. I was pleasantly surprised with how accurate the gun was out of the box, and after a couple hundred rounds and some dry fire practice the trigger has really improved. I was at the range with my cousin and he had his Sig 229 in 9mm and I outshot him all day long. Then again I am a better shot but just goes to show you don't need to spend $900 to get an accurate and reliable firearm.

x3z3i0.jpg

The gun was very stiff out of the box. The slide was very tight and hard to manipulate, and the trigger was very gritty. After the first 200 rounds it did loosen up but I started to notice slight peening in areas, specifically on the top of the barrel and under the slide where the two parts meet. I touched up the spots with very fine wet-dry sand paper and a little gun oil, then finished up with mothers mag polish. Have another 200 rounds through it since and not one sign of further peening. I will continue to watch it as I put more rounds through the gun but I really don't think it will progress further. It also smoothed up the action of the slide tremendously. I went ahead and used a fine Arkansas stone on the rails and again finished with mothers mag polish. The action of the gun from now and when I first got it is like night and day. I love the look of the polished barrel hood, but polished stainless is too hard to maintain so I might dull it down with some fine scotch bright pads and give it a satin look.

10r1jzr.jpg

Another thing I did was shorten the loaded chamber indicator. I actually don't mind LCI's, but with a round chambered that sucker stuck way too far out for my liking. All it took was 5-10 minutes of careful filing and the LCI is not nearly as obtrusive but still plenty visible.

r2oiew.jpg

Final thoughts. The SR9C was well worth the $399.99 I payed for it. So far the gun has been very accurate, has had zero failures (only 400 rounds so far but I am hopeful), and it just fits my needs perfectly for a dual purpose home defense/carry gun. It needed a little work to get it to where I wanted it to be, but that's what you gotta expect with a $400 gun, the fit and finish will not be near perfect like with a Sig. After the minor work I did to the gun and how smoothly it functions it's almost a steal to have only payed $400. So all in all I would highly recommend the SR9 or SR9C. It is a great budget gun for those of us who are strapped for cash, and with a little work you can get your SR9 performing beyond the price tag you payed for it.

1z53on8.jpg

Attachments

• New Picture (3).jpg
    New Picture (3).jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 51
  • New Picture (1).jpg
    New Picture (1).jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 47
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

tahunua001

I love mine to death. I never had peening on mine and I noticed that ripping the mag disconnect out of mine really made a difference in trigger and operation.

wyohusker

Nice short review,(the only ones I will read are short and to the point). I like mine. Its my EDC anymore. Light, easy to conceal. Great little gun for the price.

stantheman1976

Good to see positive reviews of this one. I'm planning to buy one in a few weeks to use as my EDC when I get the money. Having young kids the SR9C seems like a perfect fit for me. The manual safety combined with a quality holster will give me piece of mind carrying with them around. The magazine disconnect safety is a negative for some but I like the idea for me. That way when at home I can pop the mag out and leave my gun somewhere easy to get to and don't have to worry about them getting it and having an accident. I can keep the mag in my pocket or somewhere easy to get to if I need to use the gun.

I also like the idea of having a double stack that's easy to carry and the 17 round mag for target practice means less reloading.

Pilot

I recently shot a friend's and was pleasantly surprised. I found I could shoot it accurately, even though I am not used to these "Glock" type triggers. I did have one FTF though which kind of put me off, but my friend said that never happened before.

Good job on the LCI. It was distracting for me, and looked like a big flag sticking up like something was wrong. I would file mine down too if I bought one.

Dragline45

I love mine to death. I never had peening on mine and I noticed that ripping the mag disconnect out of mine really made a difference in trigger and operation.

I took out my mag disconnect last night and did notice a difference in operation once it was out. If you look at the piece you can see certain spots where the bluing rubbed off from wear, so once its out that's lets resistance. As far as the peening, I am going to chalk it up as normal wear from the break in. Went shooting with my father this morning and put close to 200 rounds through it. That's about 400 rounds since I lightly sanded and buffed the area under the slide and on top of the barrel and have not noticed even the slightest bit of peening, the gun just comes really tight from the factory and me buffing those areas just accelerated the break in and smoothed things up.

Good job on the LCI. It was distracting for me, and looked like a big flag sticking up like something was wrong. I would file mine down too if I bought one.

It actually looks bigger in the picture than it really is, I did a good amount of filing. But anyone who has shot an SR9 can vouch for how far that thing sticks up from the factory.

Last edited: