SR9 peening

DBski

With all the talk about the barrel peening on the sr9, does it become a safety issue? What will happen if you keep shooting it with the barrel peened? Will you get a kaboom? What does Ruger have to say about this? Will they send a new barrel or do yoou have to send the whole gun in for repair? Thanks in advance for the info.

vikingextreme93

I would think there would be serious problems cycling before it became a serious safety issue.Ruger will take care of you in this matter and that is well documented you have to call them and send it in

Mosin44az

I had a Ruger P95 that was peening between the barrel and the cam block on the recoil assembly. It wasn't affecting functioning, which was perfect, but I didn't like the look of it and sent the whole gun into Ruger (which I am sure they will require). They pretty promptly returned my P95 with a new barrel and recoil assembly, no charge. Great company in my book.

Venom1956

I've put maybe 2 boxes thru mine. I can't tell for sure if mine is peening or not. O well its a Ruger and they stand behind their products. Never had a problem with them before.

lee n. field

A couple examples.

For the record... mine does not have this problem.

pic
pic

That's it? The notorious barrel peening problem? Kinda looks like a non-issue for me, unless one is really anal about keeping their gun pristine.

orionengnr

I owned a Kahr PM9 that was within the serial number range that suffered peening. The peening resulted in mis-feeding (failure to return fully to battery). The fix required replacement of the slide and barrel. This was accomplished free of charge back in 2005, and it has worked perfectly ever since.

I do not own an SR9 and am not an expert on SR9 peening. However, I shot one at the range that is owned by a co-worker, and it failed to feed regularly. I am not sure if peening was the problem, but if peening is the issue, the fix is to replace the slide and barrel. One or the other (or both) was not properly heat treated.